Implementing Remember PAssWord in Client Side

Charleees

Hi all,

I have a Login Page whrere all Functionalities such as validations are
Done in Client Side...

I have to Implement Remember My Mail Id and PAss Word Functionality
also in Client side..

When Remember PAssWord Check Box is Checked.....

The User and Mail Id Should be Remembered Duriing The Next Login...

How could i do this in Client Side.....

Any One Please help me......

Thanks In Advance....

Sanjay

Laurent Bugnion

Hi,
Hi all,

I have a Login Page whrere all Functionalities such as validations are
Done in Client Side...

I have to Implement Remember My Mail Id and PAss Word Functionality
also in Client side..

When Remember PAssWord Check Box is Checked.....

The User and Mail Id Should be Remembered Duriing The Next Login...

How could i do this in Client Side.....

Any One Please help me......

Thanks In Advance....

Sanjay

You mean that if I visit your website, my password will be stored *in
clear text* on the client computer? You mean that if I am in an internet
café and neglect to clear the cookies before I leave, anyone can see my
credentials and use them?

I guess that you see now why security must *never* be done on the
client, but always on the server.

Greetings,
Laurent

Charleees

Thanks Mr.Laurent ,

Actually Clients Requirement is to Perform This Remember PAssWord
Functionality on Client Side... Thats y we are suppose to do it...

Is there any way to Implement it..

Please reply as Early as Possible..

Thanks
Sanjay

Laurent Bugnion

Hi,
Thanks Mr.Laurent ,

Actually Clients Requirement is to Perform This Remember PAssWord
Functionality on Client Side... Thats y we are suppose to do it...

Your client is wrong. Your task as the developer is to show your client
how wrong he is, and to explain to him what kind of problems he will
expose his site to if he uses cookies to save the user's password.
Is there any way to Implement it..

Yes, but none of them are secure.

Please reply as Early as Possible..

You post to a public newsgroup. There is no urgency. Additionally,
please quote what you reply to.
Thanks
Sanjay

Greetings,
Laurent

Evertjan.

Laurent Bugnion wrote on 27 Sep 2006 in comp.lang.javascript:
Your client is wrong. Your task as the developer is to show your client
how wrong he is, and to explain to him what kind of problems he will
expose his site to if he uses cookies to save the user's password.

Yes, but none of them are secure.

Generally you are right, Laurent.

However, in real cyberlife, security comes in different tastes.

Some password restricted sites are just so to comply with custom or legal
requirement, and the owner does not give a damn who gets in, or even wants
as many visitors as possible.

And, security is never absolute on internet.

That being said, I would never save a user provided password in a cookie,
but use just a [temporary] random string matching the same in the
serverside database.

Tom Cole

Charleees said:
Hi all,

I have a Login Page whrere all Functionalities such as validations are
Done in Client Side...

I have to Implement Remember My Mail Id and PAss Word Functionality
also in Client side..

When Remember PAssWord Check Box is Checked.....

The User and Mail Id Should be Remembered Duriing The Next Login...

I notice that you did not say that the "Password" also has to be
remembered. That is good. Storing passwords on the client is not a good
idea, ever.
How could i do this in Client Side.....

Look into using cookies. Cookies allow you to store and retrieve small
bits of text on the client machine.

Bruce Wisentaner

Charleees said:
Thanks Mr.Laurent ,

Actually Clients Requirement is to Perform This Remember PAssWord
Functionality on Client Side... Thats y we are suppose to do it...

Is there any way to Implement it..

Please reply as Early as Possible..

All that was said about the foolishness of storing credentials on client is
correct.
This should be done only if customer does not truly care about security.
That said, consider a hash algorithm, that combines password with something
else, would give some semblance of security. Probably not, but think about
it.

Digression: This is the sort of case where you must decide whether you are a
professional or are hired help.
A professional is someone knowledgeable in an area, to whom a customer pays
big bucks (or rupees) to accomplish what can be done, or be told what must
not be done. Example: lawyers, doctors, accountants, programmers.
A hired hand is someone who does what customer wants whether or not that is
what customer should want. Example: project managers, programmers.

---Bruce Wisentaner