import zlib in 2.5 fails

stuntgoat

import zlib works in Python 2.4 (debian etch AMD64 - default python
version for that distro)

I built python 2.5 from source; zlib is not importable.

I am trying to compile MySQLdb.

any clues about how to get zlib able to be imported in 2.5?

-sg

stuntgoat

Modules/main.c:186: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
/home/name/Desktop/webdl/Python-2.5.1/Modules/_ctypes/libffi/src/x86/
ffi64.c:45: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
/home/name/Desktop/webdl/Python-2.5.1/Modules/_ctypes/libffi/src/x86/
ffi64.c:342: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libz.a(adler32.o): relocation R_X86_64_32
against `a local symbol' can not be used when making a shared object;
recompile with -fPIC
/usr/local/lib/libz.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

this error occurred at one point during a compilation of Python 2.5.
It seems related to my inability to import zlib now.

Zentrader

import zlib works in Python 2.4 (debian etch AMD64 - default python
version for that distro)

I built python 2.5 from source; zlib is not importable.

2.5 has been available for some time in the Debian repositories.
Installing the .deb may provide better results. Note that you might
also have to upgrade the dependencies to a newer version. apt-get
will do all of this for you - "man apt-get" for all of the details.
http://packages.debian.org/etch/python2.5

stuntgoat

I was able to recompile zlib

$./configure --shared

then recompile Python 2.5.1; I am now able to import the zlib module.

cheers

-sg