increasing the RPS of any page

Guest

i have a .NET application developed in C# but after performance testing we
found that its RPS(request per second) is very low.
how can i improve this. we are not using Viewstate too

Juan T. Llibre

We'll need a lot more information than that,
in order to be able to give you specific pointers.

For information on ASP.NET Performance and Scalability, see:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnpag/html/scalenet.asp

Read the background information ( the 17 chapters )
and check your application's configuration code practices
against the "checklists" provided after the chapter listings.

Then, going through the "HowTos" should be of help.

There's no easy answers for your question.

You'll have to dig in, deep, to get all the
performance improvements you need.

tom pester

Some questions for you :

1) On what hardware is the site running (you say appication, you do know
this is a newsgroups about websites right?) and must it share the box with
other sites/applications
2) What is the cause of the low performance? Many times it's the database
that gets too much work or there can be some kind of locking going on

The best way to solve performance issues is to rearchitect. This is most
of the time the slowest.
The fastest techniques are : caching on the server, caching on the client,
good database indices,...

Only If we know the cause of the problem we can solve it right?

Cheers,
Tom Pester

John Rivers

I think a good approach is to:

- always bear in mind that your pages may get called 100 times per
second
- create a quick and easy to use testing app (that can simulate high
traffic)
- performance test as you develop, getting ridding of slow or cpu
hungry code as you work
- study database locking and indexing till you are a pro
- create and use consistent database access strategy (generally
tablock/tablockx for all web stuff can
accelerate db access significantly as lock acquisition time for web
apps is often higher than lock hold time)
- never use connected recordsets for long winded update jobs
- make sure connection pooling is on!
- try and avoid approaches that don't work with data in small chunks
(ie: DataReader yes, DataSet avoid like plague)
- asp.net trace timing feature is cool, use this to drill down into
inefficient methods
- remember that http requests are serialized for each session context
(issue if using frames)
- remember that response.write(your html) is probably much more
efficient than using ms html and web controls (which suck)

also bear in mind the big difference between slow through waiting (low
cpu) and slow through processing (high cpu)