Indexing Service returns bad texts in asp-solution.

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Martin Emanuelsson, Sep 28, 2004.

  1. Hello.

    I have a problem with a small asp-solution that searches for documents with
    indexing service. For some files in the search result I get "bad text"
    returned, such as
    I$OYDURSURGXFWVSURGXFHGLQ0H[LFR/DERUDWRU\5HSRUW/DERUDWRU\2UGHUHU5HVSRQVLEOH6
    WDWXV)HPLQLQH*27-RKDQVVRQ6XVDQQH)LQDO'DWH)LQDO3URMHFW3URMHFW1DPH&RVWSODFH9HU
    1R$9$523'36XPPDU\7KHUHVXOWV5XQ2II7KHSURGXFWVWKDWZHUHSURGXFHGZHUHEDG7KHVXUIDF
    HPDWHULDOZDVK\GURSKRELFDQGDOOWKHSURGXFWVKDGUXQRII6HHSLFWXUH7KHSURGXFWVWKDWSU
    RGXFHGZHUHJRRG,WZDVWKHVDPHSURGXFWVWKDWSURGXFHGEXWZLWKVSXQERQG%XURSHVXUIDFHPD
    WHULDO7KHSURGXFWVKDGIDVWLQOHWJRRGVSUHDGLQJLQWKHFRUHDQGQRUXQRII'RVLPDW7KHSURG
    XFWSURGXFHGZDVEDG6HYHUDORIWKHSURGX

    while other files returns "good text" like this:
    Feminine 865106-Date Final Projectname Orderer 2004-06-02 ALVARO PDP
    Johansson Susanne Distributed to: Internal test Alvaro v. 20-21 Summary
    Mission Background Comments Conclusion Test methods Test objects Sample No:
    20040527-001-01 Alvaro Labrep 2_2.rep SEBJOIS 2004-03-17 Printed by:
    labreporter 2004-06-02 15:51:51Laboratory Report No:20040527-001 Rev: 1
    Status:Final Brand /Name SABA Ultr

    Parts of the code that I use looks like this, more or less:

    set objConnection = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    set objIndex = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
    objConnection.ConnectionString = "Provider=MSIDXS;"
    objConnection.ConnectionTimeout = 0
    objConnection.Open
    strSQL = "SELECT Characterization, Filename, Path FROM
    se_got_data.limspdf..SCOPE() WHERE "

    objIndex.Open strSQL, objConnection

    do until objIndex.EOF
    Response.write objIndex("Characterization")
    objIndex.MoveNext
    loop
    objConnection.Close
    Set objConnection = nothing

    The problem seems to be this Characterization-part. Has anyone experienced
    anything like this before??

    Best regards
    Martin

    Martin Emanuelsson, Sep 28, 2004

  2. what files are returning this gibberish? Also can you check to ensure that
    the index files with unknown extensions is not checked.

    --
    Hilary Cotter
    Looking for a SQL Server replication book?

    Hilary Cotter, Sep 28, 2004

  3. Hello Hilary.

    The files that I'm searching in are all PDF's.

    Could you please explain the unknown extensions part a little bit more, not
    quite sure what this is.

    /Martin

    Martin Emanuelsson, Sep 30, 2004