Infinite loop program w/ IO.popen

Venkat Venkataraju

Hi All

I'm trying to write a ruby program that will constantly read a open
pipe, line by line and then log it onto another file. but when i try to
run this script with an & at the end, the program stops as soon as it
starts.

here is the listing of the code. if the script is run normaly without
any & in the end, it works.

#! /usr/bin/env ruby
# loop.rb: infinite loop program

ostream = File.new("junk.log", "w")
pipe = IO.popen("top");

if $0 == __FILE__
while true
ostream.puts(pipe.readline)
ostream.flush
sleep(1)
end
end

I know that the reason for teh termination of the code has to do
somethign with the pipe. is this a normal behavior?

i would like to execute this code without depending on the console. is
it possible to do so? or if not, is there any other solution?

Thanks
Venkat

Logan Capaldo

Hi All
=20
I'm trying to write a ruby program that will constantly read a open
pipe, line by line and then log it onto another file. but when i try to
run this script with an & at the end, the program stops as soon as it
starts.
=20
here is the listing of the code. if the script is run normaly without
any & in the end, it works.
=20
#! /usr/bin/env ruby
# loop.rb: infinite loop program
=20
ostream =3D File.new("junk.log", "w")
pipe =3D IO.popen("top");
=20
if $0 =3D=3D __FILE__
while true
ostream.puts(pipe.readline)
ostream.flush
sleep(1)
end
end
=20
I know that the reason for teh termination of the code has to do
somethign with the pipe. is this a normal behavior?
=20
i would like to execute this code without depending on the console. is
it possible to do so? or if not, is there any other solution?
=20
Thanks
Venkat
=20
=20

#! /usr/bin/env ruby
# loop.rb: infinite loop program
Process.fork do
ostream =3D File.new("junk.log", "w")
pipe =3D IO.popen("top");

if $0 =3D=3D __FILE__
while true
ostream.puts(pipe.readline)
ostream.flush
sleep(1)
end
end
end

Does this version behave better? It should exit immediately but have a
forked process doing its thing in the background with no need for an
at the shell.

Venkat Venkataraju

Logan said:
Does this version behave better? It should exit immediately but have a
forked process doing its thing in the background with no need for an
at the shell.

It works!!! Thanks for the info.

I did find that all the programs that use stdin needs to be connected to
a tty. my main goal was to execute ssh command thru pipe, but i chose
"top" as an example as it had similar behavior.

so for ssh, all i have to pass -f or -n flag and it routes the stdin to
/dev/null and that fixed my issue.

Thanks
Venkat