Inherited site - Help

Kevin Vogler

I have inherited an asp.net 1.1 site that runs fine on our IIS7 server. When
I put copies of all the files in the site directory on my development
machine and set up the virtual directory in my localhost iis as it is on the
webserver the pages don't load correctly. There are includes for the
headers, footer, js and css. Locally the js and css includes load but don't
seem to be recognized, even the image paths (which are relative) don't seem
to work.

Can anyone point to what I might look for that's disabling everything.

Thanks in advance,
Kevin Vogler

Jesse Houwing

Hello Kevin,
I have inherited an asp.net 1.1 site that runs fine on our IIS7
server. When I put copies of all the files in the site directory on my
development machine and set up the virtual directory in my localhost
iis as it is on the webserver the pages don't load correctly. There
are includes for the headers, footer, js and css. Locally the js and
css includes load but don't seem to be recognized, even the image
paths (which are relative) don't seem to work.

Can anyone point to what I might look for that's disabling everything.

My guess is that the site doesn't recognise that it has been deployed in
a virtaual folder, instead of in the root of the site.

Usually URL's to resources start with a ~/ in ASP.NET, so that they get rerouted
to their actual location.

If the site was developed using just /someresource.css, then it won't work
when deploying it to a virtual directory.

Either put the site in th eroot on you dev machine (or make second website
on your IIS and use hostnames to decide which one to load), or fix the actual
issue and make sure resources are loaded from their correct location.