Injecting javascript into a particular part in a page from inside a codebehind file.

Andy B

How do you add javascript to a page from codebehind? I have a method I am
working on that has a few conditions in it:

1. if either 1 or both WordTextBox or DefinitionTextBox is empty, show a
popup window telling the user that the textbox(s) can't be empty and return
them to the page with no further action.
2. The value in WordTextBox is already in the collection as a key, so show a
popup telling the user that the word already exists and then return them to
the page with no further action.

How would you do this?

Guest

How do you add javascript to a page from codebehind? I have a method I am
working on that has a few conditions in it:

1. if either 1 or both WordTextBox or DefinitionTextBox is empty, show a
popup window telling the user that the textbox(s) can't be empty and return
them to the page with no further action.
2. The value in WordTextBox is already in the collection as a key, so show a
popup telling the user that the word already exists and then return them to
the page with no further action.

How would you do this?

1. I think you can do this with ASP.NET RequiredFieldValidator &
ValidationSummary Controls
2. How do you get collection? Is it a database value?

Andy B

collection is a dictionary<strin, string>

How do you add javascript to a page from codebehind? I have a method I am
working on that has a few conditions in it:

1. if either 1 or both WordTextBox or DefinitionTextBox is empty, show a
popup window telling the user that the textbox(s) can't be empty and
return
them to the page with no further action.
2. The value in WordTextBox is already in the collection as a key, so show
popup telling the user that the word already exists and then return them
the page with no further action.

How would you do this?

1. I think you can do this with ASP.NET RequiredFieldValidator &
ValidationSummary Controls
2. How do you get collection? Is it a database value?

clintonG

/*
How to validate two textboxes to ensure only one textbox contains data. Copy
and paste into Visual Studio for best results reading and comprehending how
this solution may be helpful to learn from...

*/

<%-- CUSTOM VALIDATOR --%>
<asp:CustomValidator
ID="ManagingEditorValidator" runat="server"
EnableViewState="false"
OnServerValidate="ManagingEditorTextBoxes_CustomValidator"
ErrorMessage="" />

// CustomValidator raises this event...
#region Validation: ManagingEditorTextBoxes_CustomValidator...
protected void ManagingEditorTextBoxes_CustomValidator(object
source, ServerValidateEventArgs args)
{
if (ChannelManagingEditorEmailTextBox.Text.Length > 0 &&
ChannelManagingEditorNameTextBox.Text.Length > 0)
{
args.IsValid = false;
ManagingEditorValidationLabel.Text = "<span
style='color:red;font-weight:bold;'>Only one TextBox may contain
data.</span>";
ChannelBuilderWizard.ActiveStepIndex = 5; //
Step5_ChannelManagingEditor
}
else
{
args.IsValid = true;
ManagingEditorValidationLabel.Text = "-- or --";
}
}//protected void ManagingEditorTextBoxes_CustomValidator(object
source, ServerValidateEventArgs args)
#endregion

/*
I also used the OnActiveStepChanged event of a Wizard control to determine
when to call a ValidateManagingEditorOrWebmasterTextBoxes() method
that --also-- modifies the ManagingEditorValidationLabel I have mentioned.
You can figure out where to call the method once you study and learn how
this example of server-side validation works.
*/

#region Validation: ValidateManagingEditorOrWebmasterTextBoxes...
// Both ManagingEditor and Webmaster steps display a set of
TextBoxes; one for email and another for a name
// but only one TextBox may be used to submit data.
// ChannelBuilderWizard_OnActiveStepChanged calls this method when
selecting the Wizard's Next button.
// ManagingEditorTextBoxes_CustomValidator and
WebmasterTextBoxes_CustomValidator are called when SideBar LinkButtons are
selected.
protected void ValidateManagingEditorOrWebmasterTextBoxes()
{
if (ChannelManagingEditorEmailTextBox.Text.Length > 0 &&
ChannelManagingEditorNameTextBox.Text.Length > 0)
{
ManagingEditorValidationLabel.Text = "<span
style='color:red;font-weight:bold;'>Only one TextBox may contain
data.</span>";
ChannelBuilderWizard.ActiveStepIndex = 5;
}
else if (ChannelWebmasterEmailTextBox.Text.Length > 0 &&
ChannelWebmasterNameTextBox.Text.Length > 0)
{
WebmasterValidationLabel.Text = "<span
style='color:red;font-weight:bold;'>Only one TextBox may contain
data.</span>";
ChannelBuilderWizard.ActiveStepIndex = 6;
}
else
{
if
(String.IsNullOrEmpty(ChannelManagingEditorEmailTextBox.Text.ToString()) ||
String.IsNullOrEmpty(ChannelManagingEditorNameTextBox.Text.ToString()))
{
ManagingEditorValidationLabel.Text = "-- or --";
}
if
(String.IsNullOrEmpty(ChannelWebmasterEmailTextBox.Text.ToString()) ||
String.IsNullOrEmpty(ChannelWebmasterNameTextBox.Text.ToString()))
{
WebmasterValidationLabel.Text = "-- or --";
}//ValidateManagingEditorAndWebmasterTextBoxes()
#endregion

<%= Clinton Gallagher

Andy B

This wasn't exactly what I was looking for. I need to have a popup window
(the javascript alert window) pop up if:

1. The WordTextBox.Text property is empty.
2. The DefinitionTextBox.Text property is empty.
3. Both WordTextBox.Text and DefinitionTextBox.Text are empty at the same
time.
4. The value for WordTextBox.Text already exists inside the dictionary
collection.

Of course all of these have different messages that go along with them.