Inline::Python, pyperl, etc.

Discussion in 'Python' started by Eli Stevens (WG.c), Aug 24, 2005.

  1. The group I work with is trying to be language agnostic between Python
    and perl. We are trying to make it so that we are able to call our
    various APIs from one language or the other without having to care* what
    language the API was written in.

    I've been looking into:

    Inline::python 0.22
    http://search.cpan.org/~neilw/Inline-Python-0.22/Python.pod

    PyPerl 1.0.1
    http://wiki.python.org/moin/PyPerl

    The interest in these projects seems to have died off about 2001,
    however. That, or they simply haven't needed to be updated for the last
    few Python versions.

    I've bumped into some snags with pyperl (can't import perl2.so? But
    it's right there in site-packages/ !), and I'm wondering if it's bitrot
    or a config error on my end.

    Similarly, with Inline::python I end up getting strings passed into my
    python code when I expect integers (I posted about this on
    , but things seem pretty dead over there).

    Is anyone actually using any of this stuff?

    Thanks for any feedback,
    Eli

    [*] Obviously this is a golden ideal. We're willing to make compromises
    to get things to work.

    Eli Stevens (WG.c), Aug 24, 2005

  2. Eli Stevens (WG.c) enlightened us with:
    > I've bumped into some snags with pyperl (can't import perl2.so? But
    > it's right there in site-packages/ !), and I'm wondering if it's bitrot
    > or a config error on my end.

    If the .so file is as old as you described, it's probably linked to an
    old version of python. Try recompiling it.

    Sybren
    Frank Zappa

    Sybren Stuvel, Aug 24, 2005

  3. Sybren Stuvel wrote:
    > Eli Stevens (WG.c) enlightened us with:
    >
    >>I've bumped into some snags with pyperl (can't import perl2.so? But
    >>it's right there in site-packages/ !), and I'm wondering if it's bitrot
    >>or a config error on my end.

    > If the .so file is as old as you described, it's probably linked to an
    > old version of python. Try recompiling it.

    The perl2.so is not old though; it was built as part of the pyperl
    install I just did. Since the file ended up at (without needing any
    prompting from me):

    /usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages

    I'm fairly confident that it's linked against python 2.4. But still:

    $$$ ll /usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages
    total 1968
    drwxr-sr-x 2 root staff 4096 Aug 24 00:36 .
    drwxr-sr-x 19 root staff 12288 Aug 20 00:42 ..
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root staff 119 Aug 20 00:42 README
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root staff 1672 Mar 6 2001 dbi.py
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root staff 2248 Aug 24 00:36 dbi.pyc
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root staff 8289 Mar 6 2001 dbi2.py
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root staff 10292 Aug 24 00:36 dbi2.pyc
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root staff 40249 Aug 24 00:36 perl.so
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root staff 1895597 Aug 24 00:36 perl2.so
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root staff 3566 Mar 6 2001 perlmod.py
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root staff 4236 Aug 24 00:36 perlmod.pyc
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root staff 1310 Mar 6 2001 perlpickle.py
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root staff 1358 Aug 24 00:36 perlpickle.pyc

    $$$ python
    Python 2.4.1 (#1, Aug 20 2005, 00:41:20)
    [GCC 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-13)] on linux2
    >>> import perl

    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
    ImportError: perl2.so not found
    >>> import sys
    >>> for line in sys.path: print line

    /home/elis/edit/external/pyperl-1.0.1
    /usr/local/lib/python24.zip
    /usr/local/lib/python2.4
    /usr/local/lib/python2.4/plat-linux2
    /usr/local/lib/python2.4/lib-tk
    /usr/local/lib/python2.4/lib-dynload
    /usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages

    But again, I'm not so much interested in fixing this specific problem;
    I'm wanting to know if anyone is actually using Inline::python or PyPerl
    in any real sense. If they are dead projects that will have to factor
    into our decision to use them or something else.

    Thanks for the input,
    Eli

    Eli Stevens (WG.c), Aug 24, 2005
  4. Eli Stevens (WG.c) wrote:
    > PyPerl 1.0.1
    > http://wiki.python.org/moin/PyPerl
    >
    > The interest in these projects seems to have died off about 2001,
    > however. That, or they simply haven't needed to be updated for the last
    > few Python versions.
    >
    > I've bumped into some snags with pyperl (can't import perl2.so? But
    > it's right there in site-packages/ !), and I'm wondering if it's bitrot
    > or a config error on my end.
    >
    > Similarly, with Inline::python I end up getting strings passed into my
    > python code when I expect integers (I posted about this on
    > , but things seem pretty dead over there).
    >
    > Is anyone actually using any of this stuff?

    I made some patches to pyperl and the unit testing suite some months
    ago. At least basic functionality is working again. Have a look at the
    zope-perl mailing list.
    I don't know if I announced a single source tar.gz on this mailing list
    but if you have still some interest in this I can mail you the package.

    fs

    Felix Schwarz, Sep 1, 2005