    IE.

    tia,
    mcnewsxp
    mcnewsxp, Mar 30, 2010

  2. mcnewsxp

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 30 Mar, 15:57, mcnewsxp <> wrote:
    > how can i insert one html page into another.

    Best is to do it server-side. Any scripting language, or SSI
    (probably your best all-round choice)

    If you're stuck doing it client-side, use <iframe>. Don't use frames.
    Andy Dingley, Mar 30, 2010

  3. mcnewsxp

    mcnewsxp Guest

    On Mar 30, 11:24 am, Andy Dingley <> wrote:
    > On 30 Mar, 15:57, mcnewsxp <> wrote:
    >
    > > how can i insert one html page into another.

    > Best is to do it server-side.  Any scripting language, or SSI
    > (probably your best all-round choice)
    >
    > If you're stuck doing it client-side, use <iframe>. Don't use frames.

    perfect!
    thanks.
    mcnewsxp, Mar 30, 2010
  4. mcnewsxp

    mcnewsxp Guest

    On Mar 30, 11:24 am, Andy Dingley <> wrote:
    > On 30 Mar, 15:57, mcnewsxp <> wrote:
    >
    > > how can i insert one html page into another.

    > Best is to do it server-side.  Any scripting language, or SSI
    > (probably your best all-round choice)
    >
    > If you're stuck doing it client-side, use <iframe>. Don't use frames.

    well almost perfect.
    height is not interpreted the same from browser to browser. is the a
    way to make it fit within existing text?
    mcnewsxp, Mar 30, 2010
  5. mcnewsxp

    David Segall Guest

    mcnewsxp <> wrote:

    >how can i insert one html page into another. i have a main page that
    >contains several tables. the tables change while the page does not.
    >so i would like to insert some code that would display the tables
    >exactly where i would like them positioned.

    If the changes are not too frequent and you know when they occur you
    might like to investigate a pre-processor that updates the tables
    before you upload the web pages. Roedy Green describes
    the technique and some tools at
    <http://mindprod.com/jgloss/htmlstaticmacros.html>.
    David Segall, Mar 30, 2010
  6. mcnewsxp wrote:

    > On Mar 30, 11:24 am, Andy Dingley <> wrote:
    >> On 30 Mar, 15:57, mcnewsxp <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> how can i insert one html page into another.

    >> Best is to do it server-side. Any scripting language, or SSI
    >> (probably your best all-round choice)
    >>
    >> If you're stuck doing it client-side, use <iframe>. Don't use frames.

    > well almost perfect.

    You didn't take the good advice, did you? Instead, you tried the inferior
    surrogate, <iframe>. I have sympathy for people who have to use it (I have
    to, in some contexts), but you get no sympathy points without a URL

    > height is not interpreted the same from browser to browser.

    Maybe, maybe not. That's not your real problem, is it?

    > is the a way to make it fit within existing text?

    No. That's part of being an <iframe>.

    So why not tell us what you are really doing?

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Mar 30, 2010
  7. mcnewsxp

    mcnewsxp Guest

    mcnewsxp, Mar 30, 2010
  8. mcnewsxp

    mcnewsxp Guest

    iframe is ok. found some javascript to help sort out the heght issue. works
    lovely for IE, but needs improvement for firefox.
    mcnewsxp, Mar 30, 2010
  9. mcnewsxp

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Mar 30, 9:57 am, mcnewsxp <> wrote:
    > how can i insert one html page into another.  i have a main page that
    > contains several tables.  the tables change while the page does not.
    > so i would like to insert some code that would display the tables
    > exactly where i would like them positioned.
    > i started fooling around with object type equal, but not much joy with
    > IE.

    It has long been possible to embed one web page in another web page
    using proper w3c code. The w3c schools has had an example up for
    years. The problem is that this will not work on IE browsers. However
    there is an ActiveX object for IE that will embed one page in another
    and that validates at w3c. The problem with it is that it will not
    work on most other browsers that do not support ActiveX. These
    problems can be overcome by using Microsoft conditional comments to
    route to an ordinary object for most browsers and to route to an
    ActiveX object for IE browsers.

    See http://www.cwdjr.net/smil2/embedpage.php for a main page and
    http://www.cwdjr.net/smil2/embedpagesmil.php for the page that is
    embedded in it. The page uses css code to remove scroll bars from the
    embeddpage both for IE and other browsers, but it can be deleted as
    marked in the source code of the main page if you need scroll bars in
    the embedded page.

    The embedded page is very special. I want to show a smil media page
    which is a type of xml page. Most browsers have little, if any,
    support for xml built in. In most cases you have to use some sort of
    xml viewer program. Some have the Real Player installed, and it has
    very good support of smil built into it. If you route to an
    embedded(using proper objects) Real player with a .ram file that
    points to the xml smil page, the player if installed will come up, and
    the smil show will start. If no Real player is found, the large space
    for it is not used, and only the text at the bottom of the embedded
    page appears. The size of the embedded area is set so it just shows
    the player if it comes up, but if not, the text at the bottom of the
    page comes up with other choices ending with a text choice for those
    who hate media and disable most of it. Setting the embedded page so
    that the embed comes up exactly where you want it requires a bit of
    effort, but it usually can be done. I use xhtml 1.1 properly served as
    application/xhtml+xml to prove that this type of embed of one web page
    in another can validate as xhtml and css to the top level. If you do
    not have a server set up to properly serve true xhtml using
    application/xhtml+xml, then it is best to use html 4.01 strict. The
    page has been checked on Vista 64-bit and XP 32-bit OSs using IE7 and
    the most recent versions of Firefox, Safari for Windows, and Opera.
    Opera does not show the Real player at first, so you get the download
    option and other choices. If you then download, you can play on the
    Real Player on your computer, if installed.
    cwdjrxyz, Mar 31, 2010
  10. mcnewsxp

    mcnewsxp Guest

    On Mar 30, 11:57 pm, cwdjrxyz <> wrote:
> [...]

    > page comes up with other choices ending with a text choice for those
    > who hate media and disable most of it. Setting the embedded page so
    > that the embed comes up exactly where you want it requires a bit of
    > effort, but it usually can be done. I use xhtml 1.1 properly served as
    > application/xhtml+xml to prove that this type of embed of one web page
    > in another can validate as xhtml and css to the top level. If you do
    > not have a server set up to properly serve true xhtml using
    > application/xhtml+xml, then it is best to use html 4.01 strict. The
    > page has been checked on Vista 64-bit and XP 32-bit OSs using IE7 and
    > the most recent versions of Firefox, Safari for Windows, and Opera.
    > Opera does not show the Real player at first, so you get the download
    > option and other choices. If you then download, you can play on the
    > Real Player on your computer, if installed.

    the object things doesn't work in IE for me.
    mcnewsxp, Apr 1, 2010
  11. mcnewsxp

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Apr 1, 10:58 am, mcnewsxp <> wrote:
> [...]

    > > who hate media and disable most of it. Setting the embedded page so
    > > that the embed comes up exactly where you want it requires a bit of
    > > effort, but it usually can be done. I use xhtml 1.1 properly served as
    > > application/xhtml+xml to prove that this type of embed of one web page
    > > in another can validate as xhtml and css to the top level. If you do
    > > not have a server set up to properly serve true xhtml using
    > > application/xhtml+xml, then it is best to use html 4.01 strict. The
    > > page has been checked on Vista 64-bit and XP 32-bit OSs using IE7 and
    > > the most recent versions of Firefox, Safari for Windows, and Opera.
    > > Opera does not show the Real player at first, so you get the download
    > > option and other choices. If you then download, you can play on the
    > > Real Player on your computer, if installed.

    > the object things doesn't work in IE for me.

    There are two objects used in the example I gave, and the ActiveX one
    only applies to IE and is selected by the Microsoft conditional
    comment in which it is included. The Active X object is:

    <object classid="clsid:25336920-03F9-11CF-8FD0-00AA00686F13"
    data="http://www.cwdjr.net/smil2/embedpagesmil.php" width="100%"
    height="600" style="border-style:solid;border-width:thin;border-
    color:white"></object> .

    Can you see my demo page when using IE? If so, your browser is
    responding correctly. If you can not view the page in my demo, what
    version of IE do you have, and what OS? I have tested on 64-bit Vista
    and 32-bit XP with IE7 and IE6. Knowing Microsoft, it is possible
    that IE8 or an early version of IE might respond in a different
    manner. Can you view my example on the latest versions of Firefox or
    Safari for Windows, These two browsers will take the ordinary object
    path selected by a Microsoft conditional comment and would not work on
    the AvtiveX object because these browsers do not support ActiveX, at
    least as delivered. There is some possibility that security settings
    are too extreme if you are having problems viewing my example page on
    IE or some other browser. Recent versions of IE can be especially
    fussy about security settings, especially when you are working with
    local files. I guess the reason may be that many hackers have used
    ActiveX to infect IE browsers, and Microsoft must have spent many
    millions of dollars in making security fixes for these hacks.
    cwdjrxyz, Apr 1, 2010
  12. mcnewsxp

    mcnewsxp Guest

    On Apr 1, 1:25 pm, cwdjrxyz <> wrote:
> [...]

    > that IE8 or an early version of IE might respond in a different
    > manner. Can you view my example on the latest versions of Firefox or
    > Safari for Windows, These two browsers will take the ordinary object
    > path selected by a Microsoft conditional comment and would not work on
    > the AvtiveX object because these browsers do not support ActiveX, at
    > least as delivered. There is some possibility that security settings
    > are too extreme if you are having problems viewing my example page on
    > IE or some other browser.  Recent versions of IE can be especially
    > fussy about security settings, especially when you are working with
    > local files. I guess the reason may be that many hackers have used
    > ActiveX to infect IE browsers, and Microsoft must have spent many
    > millions of dollars in making security fixes for these hacks.

    this is what i needed all along:

    <!--#include file="tblNationalRegionalSummary.htm"-->
    mcnewsxp, Apr 1, 2010
  13. On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 07:57:11 -0700, mcnewsxp wrote:

    > how can i insert one html page into another. i have a main page that
    > contains several tables. the tables change while the page does not. so
    > i would like to insert some code that would display the tables exactly
    > where i would like them positioned. i started fooling around with object
    > type equal, but not much joy with IE.
    >
    > tia,
    > mcnewsxp

    It's not hard at all to nest tables, and I'm no expert. Every time I
    revise an html file on my site it becomes a table if it isn't one
    already. I don't understand why you would want to do it any other way. It
    keeps the lines of text from being too long for easy reading, and
    provides room for ads if you decide to host some in the future. Regards,
    daveA

    --
    For beginners: very easy guitar music, solos, duets, exercises. Early
    intermediate guitar solos. One best scale set for all guitarists.
    David Raleigh Arnold, Apr 2, 2010
  14. mcnewsxp

    dorayme Guest

    In article <3Jatn.37205$>,
    David Raleigh Arnold <> wrote:

    > It's not hard at all to nest tables, and I'm no expert. Every time I
    > revise an html file on my site it becomes a table if it isn't one
    > already. I don't understand why you would want to do it any other way.

    Who has the energy to explain why?

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Apr 2, 2010
  15. mcnewsxp

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 01 Apr 2010, David Raleigh Arnold <> wrote:

    > On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 07:57:11 -0700, mcnewsxp wrote:
    >
    >> how can i insert one html page into another. i have a main page
    >> that contains several tables. the tables change while the page does
    >> not. so i would like to insert some code that would display the
    >> tables exactly where i would like them positioned. i started fooling
    >> around with object type equal, but not much joy with IE.

    > It's not hard at all to nest tables, and I'm no expert. Every time I
    > revise an html file on my site it becomes a table if it isn't one
    > already. I don't understand why you would want to do it any other
    > way.

    Does the Earth look flat, and is it?

    > It keeps the lines of text from being too long for easy reading,
    > and provides room for ads if you decide to host some in the future.

    A div does that and is better-suited to the purpose.

    --
    Neredbojias

    http://www.neredbojias.org/
    Neredbojias, Apr 2, 2010
  16. mcnewsxp

    mcnewsxp Guest

    SSI did the trick - after mucking around trying to make iframe behave.
    thanks.
    mcnewsxp, Apr 2, 2010
  17. mcnewsxp wrote:
    > SSI did the trick - after mucking around trying to make iframe behave.
    > thanks.

    Quote?

    If you are using SSI why would you keep the iframe?!?

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Apr 2, 2010
  18. On Apr 1, 5:18 pm, David Raleigh Arnold <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 07:57:11 -0700, mcnewsxp wrote:
    >
    > It's not hard at all to nest tables, and I'm no expert. Every time I
    > revise an html file on my site it becomes a table if it isn't one
    > already. I don't understand why you would want to do it any other way. It
    > keeps the lines of text from being too long for easy reading, and
    > provides room for ads if you decide to host some in the future. Regards,
    > daveA
    >
    > --
    > For beginners: very easy guitar music, solos, duets, exercises. Early
    > intermediate guitar solos. One best scale set for all guitarists.http://www.openguitar.com/scalescomparison.html::: plus new and
    > better chord and arpeggio exercises.  http://www.openguitar.com

    You do not use tables the way you suggest for the same reason you
    wouldn't teach a guitar player to not bother to tune their guitar
    properly. You can always reposition your fingers to achieve the
    correct notes. It saves time at the beginning but makes it near
    impossible to play correctly.

    www.richardfisher.com
    Helpful person, Apr 2, 2010
  19. mcnewsxp

    dorayme Guest

    In article <hp4psn$l0k$-september.org>,
    "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    > mcnewsxp wrote:
    > > SSI did the trick - after mucking around trying to make iframe behave.
    > > thanks.
    > >

    > Quote?
    >
    > If you are using SSI why would you keep the iframe?!?

    How do you know he has?

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Apr 2, 2010
  20. mcnewsxp

    mcnewsxp Guest

    >> > SSI did the trick - after mucking around trying to make iframe behave.
    >> > thanks.
    >> >

    >> Quote?
    >>
    >> If you are using SSI why would you keep the iframe?!?

    > How do you know he has?

    right. one line did the trick. scrapped the iframe and javascript.
    mcnewsxp, Apr 2, 2010