insert html into html

mcnewsxp

how can i insert one html page into another. i have a main page that
contains several tables. the tables change while the page does not.
so i would like to insert some code that would display the tables
exactly where i would like them positioned.
i started fooling around with object type equal, but not much joy with
IE.

tia,
mcnewsxp

Andy Dingley

how can i insert one html page into another.

Best is to do it server-side. Any scripting language, or SSI
(probably your best all-round choice)

If you're stuck doing it client-side, use <iframe>. Don't use frames.

mcnewsxp

Best is to do it server-side.  Any scripting language, or SSI
(probably your best all-round choice)

If you're stuck doing it client-side, use <iframe>. Don't use frames.

perfect!
thanks.

mcnewsxp

Best is to do it server-side.  Any scripting language, or SSI
(probably your best all-round choice)

If you're stuck doing it client-side, use <iframe>. Don't use frames.

well almost perfect.
height is not interpreted the same from browser to browser. is the a
way to make it fit within existing text?

David Segall

mcnewsxp said:
how can i insert one html page into another. i have a main page that
contains several tables. the tables change while the page does not.
so i would like to insert some code that would display the tables
exactly where i would like them positioned.

If the changes are not too frequent and you know when they occur you
might like to investigate a pre-processor that updates the tables
before you upload the web pages. Roedy Green describes
the technique and some tools at
<http://mindprod.com/jgloss/htmlstaticmacros.html>.

Jukka K. Korpela

mcnewsxp said:
well almost perfect.

You didn't take the good advice, did you? Instead, you tried the inferior
height is not interpreted the same from browser to browser.

Maybe, maybe not. That's not your real problem, is it?
is the a way to make it fit within existing text?

No. That's part of being an <iframe>.

So why not tell us what you are really doing?

mcnewsxp

You didn't take the good advice, did you? Instead, you tried the inferior

Maybe, maybe not. That's not your real problem, is it?

No. That's part of being an <iframe>.

So why not tell us what you are really doing?

i would like to insert some code that would display the tables
exactly where i would like them positioned

mcnewsxp

iframe is ok. found some javascript to help sort out the heght issue. works
lovely for IE, but needs improvement for firefox.

cwdjrxyz

how can i insert one html page into another.  i have a main page that
contains several tables.  the tables change while the page does not.
so i would like to insert some code that would display the tables
exactly where i would like them positioned.
i started fooling around with object type equal, but not much joy with
IE.

It has long been possible to embed one web page in another web page
using proper w3c code. The w3c schools has had an example up for
years. The problem is that this will not work on IE browsers. However
there is an ActiveX object for IE that will embed one page in another
and that validates at w3c. The problem with it is that it will not
work on most other browsers that do not support ActiveX. These
problems can be overcome by using Microsoft conditional comments to
route to an ordinary object for most browsers and to route to an
ActiveX object for IE browsers.

See http://www.cwdjr.net/smil2/embedpage.php for a main page and
http://www.cwdjr.net/smil2/embedpagesmil.php for the page that is
embedded in it. The page uses css code to remove scroll bars from the
embeddpage both for IE and other browsers, but it can be deleted as
marked in the source code of the main page if you need scroll bars in
the embedded page.

The embedded page is very special. I want to show a smil media page
which is a type of xml page. Most browsers have little, if any,
support for xml built in. In most cases you have to use some sort of
xml viewer program. Some have the Real Player installed, and it has
very good support of smil built into it. If you route to an
embedded(using proper objects) Real player with a .ram file that
points to the xml smil page, the player if installed will come up, and
the smil show will start. If no Real player is found, the large space
for it is not used, and only the text at the bottom of the embedded
page appears. The size of the embedded area is set so it just shows
the player if it comes up, but if not, the text at the bottom of the
page comes up with other choices ending with a text choice for those
who hate media and disable most of it. Setting the embedded page so
that the embed comes up exactly where you want it requires a bit of
effort, but it usually can be done. I use xhtml 1.1 properly served as
application/xhtml+xml to prove that this type of embed of one web page
in another can validate as xhtml and css to the top level. If you do
not have a server set up to properly serve true xhtml using
application/xhtml+xml, then it is best to use html 4.01 strict. The
page has been checked on Vista 64-bit and XP 32-bit OSs using IE7 and
the most recent versions of Firefox, Safari for Windows, and Opera.
Opera does not show the Real player at first, so you get the download
option and other choices. If you then download, you can play on the
Real Player on your computer, if installed.

mcnewsxp

[...]

the object things doesn't work in IE for me.

cwdjrxyz

the object things doesn't work in IE for me.

There are two objects used in the example I gave, and the ActiveX one
only applies to IE and is selected by the Microsoft conditional
comment in which it is included. The Active X object is:

<object classid="clsid:25336920-03F9-11CF-8FD0-00AA00686F13"
data="http://www.cwdjr.net/smil2/embedpagesmil.php" width="100%"
height="600" style="border-style:solid;border-width:thin;border-
color:white"></object> .

Can you see my demo page when using IE? If so, your browser is
responding correctly. If you can not view the page in my demo, what
version of IE do you have, and what OS? I have tested on 64-bit Vista
and 32-bit XP with IE7 and IE6. Knowing Microsoft, it is possible
that IE8 or an early version of IE might respond in a different
manner. Can you view my example on the latest versions of Firefox or
Safari for Windows, These two browsers will take the ordinary object
path selected by a Microsoft conditional comment and would not work on
the AvtiveX object because these browsers do not support ActiveX, at
least as delivered. There is some possibility that security settings
are too extreme if you are having problems viewing my example page on
IE or some other browser. Recent versions of IE can be especially
fussy about security settings, especially when you are working with
local files. I guess the reason may be that many hackers have used
ActiveX to infect IE browsers, and Microsoft must have spent many
millions of dollars in making security fixes for these hacks.

mcnewsxp

[...]

this is what i needed all along:

<!--#include file="tblNationalRegionalSummary.htm"-->

David Raleigh Arnold

how can i insert one html page into another. i have a main page that
contains several tables. the tables change while the page does not. so
i would like to insert some code that would display the tables exactly
where i would like them positioned. i started fooling around with object
type equal, but not much joy with IE.

tia,
mcnewsxp

It's not hard at all to nest tables, and I'm no expert. Every time I
revise an html file on my site it becomes a table if it isn't one
already. I don't understand why you would want to do it any other way. It
keeps the lines of text from being too long for easy reading, and
provides room for ads if you decide to host some in the future. Regards,
daveA

dorayme

David Raleigh Arnold said:
It's not hard at all to nest tables, and I'm no expert. Every time I
revise an html file on my site it becomes a table if it isn't one
already. I don't understand why you would want to do it any other way.

Who has the energy to explain why?

Neredbojias

It's not hard at all to nest tables, and I'm no expert. Every time I
revise an html file on my site it becomes a table if it isn't one
already. I don't understand why you would want to do it any other
way.

Does the Earth look flat, and is it?
It keeps the lines of text from being too long for easy reading,
and provides room for ads if you decide to host some in the future.

A div does that and is better-suited to the purpose.

Jonathan N. Little

mcnewsxp said:
SSI did the trick - after mucking around trying to make iframe behave.
thanks.

Quote?

If you are using SSI why would you keep the iframe?!?

Helpful person

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 07:57:11 -0700, mcnewsxp wrote:

It's not hard at all to nest tables, and I'm no expert. Every time I
revise an html file on my site it becomes a table if it isn't one
already. I don't understand why you would want to do it any other way. It
keeps the lines of text from being too long for easy reading, and
provides room for ads if you decide to host some in the future. Regards,
daveA

You do not use tables the way you suggest for the same reason you
wouldn't teach a guitar player to not bother to tune their guitar
properly. You can always reposition your fingers to achieve the
correct notes. It saves time at the beginning but makes it near
impossible to play correctly.

www.richardfisher.com

mcnewsxp

SSI did the trick - after mucking around trying to make iframe behave.
How do you know he has?

right. one line did the trick. scrapped the iframe and javascript.