inserting a footer at a regular inteval

aa

If I have a set of documents on a letterhead with a header and footer and I
want them in HTML look as they look on the paper - i.e. if a document is
longer then one printed page, the footer and then the header are inserted -
how do I do it in ASP?

I.e. is there a way to monitor page length depending on font, margins and
perhaps graphic used?

Evertjan.

aa wrote on 23 apr 2007 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
If I have a set of documents on a letterhead with a header and footer
and I want them in HTML look as they look on the paper - i.e. if a
document is longer then one printed page, the footer and then the
header are inserted - how do I do it in ASP?

Do it clientside, make a div for each page, and make all display:none;
except the one you want to show.
I.e. is there a way to monitor page length depending on font, margins
and perhaps graphic used?

No, not serverside, that is Browser dependent.

You could use pdf.

Adrienne Boswell

If I have a set of documents on a letterhead with a header and footer
and I want them in HTML look as they look on the paper - i.e. if a
document is longer then one printed page, the footer and then the
header are inserted - how do I do it in ASP?

You can't... at least not with any accuracy. Please remember the www is
not paper, and is not tv, and is not radio, and is not movies. There is
no way for you to know the size of the users viewport, or even if the
user has a viewport at all.
I.e. is there a way to monitor page length depending on font, margins
and perhaps graphic used?

The only suggestion I have for you is to use ems and percentages.
Images, of course, have to be defined in pixels. However, using ems and
percentages, if the user shinks or expands font size, you can pretty well
be assured the page will not fall apart.

aa

I am doing it on my local computer and the reason for it is that I have a
database and output its contents into HTML using ASP.
Now need a printed version thereof and I try to convert my ASP output into
PDF using File--Print-AdobePDF option on my browser.
The documents are of different length so that some convert into 1 page PDF?
some into 3 pages and I need a footer ar every page.
I hoped there is a way to estimate a page length basing on the page contents
and format.

Adrienne Boswell

I am doing it on my local computer and the reason for it is that I
have a database and output its contents into HTML using ASP.
Now need a printed version thereof and I try to convert my ASP output
into PDF using File--Print-AdobePDF option on my browser.
The documents are of different length so that some convert into 1 page
PDF? some into 3 pages and I need a footer ar every page.
I hoped there is a way to estimate a page length basing on the page
contents and format.

Then you need to guestimate how much is going to be on the page. Since
you are printing you would want to set sizes in pts, margin, font, etc.
Also look into the pagebreak property for CSS and see if that might be of
help.