    I'm not talking subject material, I'm talking ones that strike you as
    impressive from a design aspect, regardless of the subject.

    And tell us why you like it.

    M, Jun 9, 2007

  2. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "M" <>
    writing in news:kEFai.10230$xq1.4494@pd7urf1no:

    > What are your favourites, or ones that you hold up as a touchstone?

    You first.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Jun 10, 2007

  3. M

    El Kabong Guest

    Perhaps I'm easily awed but I found the "El Pais Muva - museo virtual de
    artes" (http://muva.elpais.com.uy/) both beautiful and impressive in its
    options and ease of use.

    But that's just me.

    El

    El Kabong, Jun 10, 2007
  4. M

    M Guest

    "Adrienne Boswell" <> wrote in message

    > You first.

    What, are we like eight years old daring each other who's gonna jump into
    the cold lake first? Sheesh. . .

    I posted some of mine when I last visited here about six or seven months
    ago.

    http://www.5thwallstudio.com/ Uses a flash intro but it's not necessary to
    wait for it. The flash animation though is nicely reflected in the photo
    within the site providing for a continuation of theme. I also like the door
    analogy and the simple art deco theme.

    http://www.inspireddevices.com/ for the simplicity of the design which still
    makes good use of graphics for a "desktop newsletter" look.

    Both of these were designed by Krucible Solutions of Victoria. I like their
    work and, no, I don't know them or have any connection to them. They came to
    my attention when they designed a web site for a friend.

    I found this site
    http://www.moderndaybillboard.com/index.html and have been working my way
    through them. Some very impressive ones here -- lots of imagination of the
    sort I wish I had.

    I like some of the sites at CSSZenGarden. The designers here have a strong
    sense of colour and play that I envy:
    http://www.csszengarden.com/?cssfile=/178/178.css&page=2
    http://www.csszengarden.com/?cssfile=/177/177.css&page=3

    And check out the clever trick with the diver here:
    http://csszengarden.com/?cssfile=http://www.css-praxis.de/cssocean/zenocean.css
    (Scroll down to the ocean bottom. . . Won't work in IE)

    And, finally, for another perspective, there's this site:
    http://www.e-creative.net/enter.asp

    I don't know this group, but the sites that have won awards as determined by
    this website suck hugely. Every one of them are fully Flash-powered. I'm on
    high speed and I gave up on most of them because I couldn't be bothered
    waiting.

    M, Jun 10, 2007
  5. M

    dorayme Guest

    http://www.e-creative.net/enter.asp itself is very bad indeed.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jun 10, 2007
  6. dorayme wrote:

    > "M" <> wrote:
    >
    >> And, finally, for another perspective, there's this site:
    >> http://www.e-creative.net/enter.asp
    >>
    >> I don't know this group, but the sites that have won awards as
    >> determined by this website suck hugely. Every one of them are fully
    >> Flash-powered. I'm on high speed and I gave up on most of them
    >> because I couldn't be bothered waiting.

    > http://www.e-creative.net/enter.asp itself is very bad indeed.

    ...and the rest aren't any better. <g>

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 10, 2007
  7. M

    Chaddy2222 Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > dorayme wrote:
    >
    > > "M" <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> And, finally, for another perspective, there's this site:
    > >> http://www.e-creative.net/enter.asp
    > >>
    > >> I don't know this group, but the sites that have won awards as
    > >> determined by this website suck hugely. Every one of them are fully
    > >> Flash-powered. I'm on high speed and I gave up on most of them
    > >> because I couldn't be bothered waiting.

    > > http://www.e-creative.net/enter.asp itself is very bad indeed.

    > ..and the rest aren't any better. <g>

    Yeah, I could not agree more, mind you I did not bother looking at
    most of them.
    The DTP looking one I thaught was a pile of shit. Considering the
    subject matter, the site did not even have a proper title tag, and
    overall as any person with a clue knows, DTP layouts do not work on
    the web, go to the site http://www.inspireddevices.com and wack the
    font size up a few times. It will break quite easily.
    The verdonna (or however the hell you spell it) font really is quite
    bloody un-readable at larger font sizes.
    --
    Regards Chad. http://freewebdesign.awardspace.biz

    Chaddy2222, Jun 10, 2007
  8. On 2007-06-10, El Kabong wrote:

    > Perhaps I'm easily awed but I found the "El Pais Muva - museo virtual de
    > artes" (http://muva.elpais.com.uy/) both beautiful and impressive in its
    > options and ease of use.

    On first glance, I thought it was nice to have the choice of HTML
    or multimedia versions (a sensible use of an intro page). However,
    when I clicked on it, nothing happened.

    The multimedia version did go to the real page, but I don't
    continue with all flash pages; I have yet to see one that is
    more than minimally legible.

    Author:

    Chris F.A. Johnson, Jun 10, 2007
  9. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "M" <>
    writing in news:C4Jai.11731$xq1.1759@pd7urf1no:

    >> You first.

    > What, are we like eight years old daring each other who's gonna jump
    > into the cold lake first? Sheesh. . .
    >
    > I posted some of mine when I last visited here about six or seven
    > months ago.

    No, we're not like eight years old, we're like fifty. I've seen too many
    posts similar to this that are basically just trolling. Hence, the
    request.

    I can't seriously remember a good site I've seen lately. I do a lot of
    surfing, looking for interesting sites to include in our directory.

    I see a lot of sites that look nice visually, but have no substance. I
    see a lot of sites with a lot of content with tiny text (yes I know I can
    resize). I came across a site the other day that even tried to give me a
    virus (probably a graphic, since plain text wouldn't do it).

    With that said, there are two sites I like that come to mind:

    1. moRondeSign - http://www.morondesign.com
    2. Joe Cartoon - http://www.joecartoon.com

    I like these sites because they always give me a laugh.

    Adrienne Boswell, Jun 10, 2007
  10. M

    rf Guest

    "Adrienne Boswell" <> wrote in message
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "M" <>
    > writing in news:kEFai.10230$xq1.4494@pd7urf1no:
    >
    >> What are your favourites, or ones that you hold up as a touchstone?
    >>

    > You first.

    <grin>That'll set the base standard for the rest of us</grin>

    --
    Richard.

    rf, Jun 10, 2007
  11. Adrienne Boswell wrote:

    > With that said, there are two sites I like that come to mind:
    >
    > 1. moRondeSign - http://www.morondesign.com

    What the ****! I checked out both sites and since I am stuck on dialup
    here I opened each in a tab and while loading went to get another cup of
    coffee and came back to very loud "rock" music!!! This one seems to be
    the offender and a prime example of why you *do not* put music on your
    site. Damn thankful that I did not check it out late last night at
    midnight, else that would cost me at least a dozen roses and box of fine
    chocolates to get out of the doghouse.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Jun 10, 2007
  12. Adrienne Boswell wrote:

    > 1. moRondeSign - http://www.morondesign.com

    Okay, okay it a joke, but U shut it down so fast to kill the techno (and
    I like techno, just not when I am surfing) that I did not read the
    pages, which I am not doing with my sound muted...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Jun 10, 2007
  13. Adrienne Boswell wrote:

    > 1. moRondeSign - http://www.morondesign.com

    Okay, okay it a joke, but U shut it down so fast to kill the techno (and
    I like techno, just not when I am surfing) that I did not read the
    pages, which I am now doing with my sound muted...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Jun 10, 2007
  14. Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
    > On 2007-06-10, El Kabong wrote:
    >> Perhaps I'm easily awed but I found the "El Pais Muva - museo virtual de
    >> artes" (http://muva.elpais.com.uy/) both beautiful and impressive in its
    >> options and ease of use.

    > On first glance, I thought it was nice to have the choice of HTML
    > or multimedia versions (a sensible use of an intro page). However,
    > when I clicked on it, nothing happened.

    That's because it opens in a pop-up and you probably have a pop-up
    blocker on. There is strike on for the site. Then the site relies on
    frames, strike two! And is one large image map, strike three! Dang and I
    thought Myst was a bore, put it online with dialup and I really don't
    care about the exhibits and I am an artist!

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Jun 10, 2007
  15. Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > What the ****! I checked out both sites and since I am stuck on dialup
    > here I opened each in a tab and while loading went to get another cup
    > of coffee and came back to very loud "rock" music!!! This one seems to
    > be the offender and a prime example of why you *do not* put music on
    > your site. Damn thankful that I did not check it out late last night
    > at midnight, else that would cost me at least a dozen roses and box of
    > fine chocolates to get out of the doghouse.

    1. That's what you get for having a computer in your dog house. They
    don't really get much out of it and their claws are rough on the keys.

    2. Based on most of their posts they're all Google Gropers.

    3. Okay, some of them do email each other with mutt.

    4. If they *must* be connected, introduce them to FidoNet.

    5. Emphasis should be placed on #1, above; it's not like they're paying
    for their own hardware.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 10, 2007
  16. On Jun 9, 10:10 pm, "M" <> wrote:
    > And, finally, for another perspective, there's this site:http://www.e-creative.net/enter.asp
    > I don't know this group, but the sites that have won awards as determined by
    > this website suck hugely. Every one of them are fully Flash-powered. I'm on
    > high speed and I gave up on most of them because I couldn't be bothered
    > waiting.

    First, go to your provider and complain about your high speed
    connection it's broke. Everything on this site came right up.

    Second, While you and others may all think these sites suck, I tend to
    enjoy many of them. (I especially liked this one: http://www.themartist.com)
    I also like my meat cooked medium rare while others like it well
    done. So it seems that website preferences, like meat, is it a matter
    of personal preference.

    My point is that while you may not like sites like these obviously
    someone does or they would not exist in the numbers they do. As the
    web continues to evolve, I believe you will be seeing even more
    integration between multimedia and the web. Some will hate it, some
    will love it. .

    ymmv

    Travis Newbury, Jun 11, 2007
  17. On Jun 9, 9:56 pm, "El Kabong" <> wrote:
    > Perhaps I'm easily awed but I found the "El Pais Muva - museo virtual de
    > artes" (http://muva.elpais.com.uy/) both beautiful and impressive in its
    > options and ease of use.
    > But that's just me.

    While it is nice, I was not as impressed as you. I believe that it
    cold have been moreeffective if done with Flash.

    Travis Newbury, Jun 11, 2007
  18. On Jun 11, 8:01 am, Travis Newbury <> wrote:
    > On Jun 9, 9:56 pm, "El Kabong" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Perhaps I'm easily awed but I found the "El Pais Muva - museo virtual de
    > > artes" (http://muva.elpais.com.uy/) both beautiful and impressive in its
    > > options and ease of use.
    > > But that's just me.

    > While it is nice, I was not as impressed as you. I believe that it
    > cold have been moreeffective if done with Flash.

    Ok, bad morning for the fingers and brain, I meant to say it could
    have been done more effectively than is was done in Flash.

    Travis Newbury, Jun 11, 2007
  19. M

    El Kabong Guest

    "Travis Newbury" <> wrote in message

    >> While it is nice, I was not as impressed as you. I believe that it
    >> cold have been moreeffective if done with Flash.

    > Ok, bad morning for the fingers and brain, I meant to say it could
    > have been done more effectively than is was done in Flash.

    After a second look, I agree... somewhat. I think the atmosphere of the site
    was what I liked at first glance.

    But then, I like art sites that let me view the works without a lot of
    analysis.

    Here's another: http://bradtuckman.com/

    or this camera ad: http://stunningnikon.com/d80/

    Flash with a purpose.

    El

    El Kabong, Jun 11, 2007
  20. M

    El Kabong Guest

    "El Kabong" <> wrote in message

    > "Travis Newbury" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>> While it is nice, I was not as impressed as you. I believe that it
    >>> cold have been moreeffective if done with Flash.

    >> Ok, bad morning for the fingers and brain, I meant to say it could
    >> have been done more effectively than is was done in Flash.

    Don't know how I forgot it but here's a great one, ideally suited for its
    content, great use of Web tech, site map, ( didn't see any drop down menus
    yet):

    http://nymag.com/

    Would you expect less from them?

    El