install package in a particular python version

Steve1234

I installed the boto module in my Ubuntu system using "python setup.py
install" and it installs in my python2.6 version and works great. Now
I want to install boto into my python2.5 version because my hosting
services supports 2.5 but not 2.6. and I want to test my code locally,
"sting".format() is not in 2.5.

How do I install a package in a particular version of python?

I tried several different install switches without any luck.

Benjamin Kaplan

whoops, sent it to you instead of the list

It's not an install switch- it's the version of python you use to
install it. If you want to install it to Python 2.5, run python2.5
setup.py install

David Lyon

I installed the boto module in my Ubuntu system using "python setup.py
install" and it installs in my python2.6 version and works great. Now
I want to install boto into my python2.5 version because my hosting
services supports 2.5 but not 2.6. and I want to test my code locally,
"sting".format() is not in 2.5.

How do I install a package in a particular version of python?

I tried several different install switches without any luck.

If you wish to do it in a gui rather than at the commandline then
you could try the python package manager at :

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pythonpkgmgr/

You will need to download it from source.

In the Options Dialog, there is a dropdown list that allow you to
easily change from one version of python to another.

Regards

David

Steve1234

Benjamin suggested:
sudo python2.5 setup.py install
and it works. This makes sense, thanks.

I downloaded pythonpkgmgr from source and installed it. I got the
error that reguired wx package was missing. I couldn't find this
package for Linux or source.