    the MSI file so it does not add a Start Menu folder? I would like to
    push out Python to all of my office workstations, but I'd like for it
    to be relatively silent from the user's point of view.
    snorble, Dec 2, 2011

  2. On 02/12/2011 16:34, snorble wrote:
    > Is it possible to automate the Python installation on Windows using
    > the MSI file so it does not add a Start Menu folder? I would like to
    > push out Python to all of my office workstations, but I'd like for it
    > to be relatively silent from the user's point of view.

    If you just want to run python scripts in those machines (not developing
    in it), you can use something like py2exe [http://www.py2exe.org/].

    It converts a python script to a standalone executable.

    Good luck!
    --
    Att;
    Pedro Henrique G. Souto
    Pedro Henrique G. Souto, Dec 3, 2011

  3. "Pedro Henrique G. Souto" <>:

    >On 02/12/2011 16:34, snorble wrote:
    >> Is it possible to automate the Python installation on Windows using
    >> the MSI file so it does not add a Start Menu folder? I would like to
    >> push out Python to all of my office workstations, but I'd like for it
    >> to be relatively silent from the user's point of view.

    >If you just want to run python scripts in those machines (not developing
    >in it), you can use something like py2exe [http://www.py2exe.org/].

    That doesn't answer the question.

    Snorble might use "ORCA", a MSI editor from Microsoft.

    http://forums.frontmotion.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=837

    discusses a similar question for Firefox.

    I haven't tried it myself, but would give it a try.

    --
    Thank you for observing all safety precautions
    Wolfgang Strobl, Dec 5, 2011
  4. snorble

    Lie Ryan Guest

    On 12/05/2011 07:01 PM, Wolfgang Strobl wrote:
    > "Pedro Henrique G. Souto"<>:
    >
    >> On 02/12/2011 16:34, snorble wrote:
    >>> Is it possible to automate the Python installation on Windows using
    >>> the MSI file so it does not add a Start Menu folder? I would like to
    >>> push out Python to all of my office workstations, but I'd like for it
    >>> to be relatively silent from the user's point of view.

    >> If you just want to run python scripts in those machines (not developing
    >> in it), you can use something like py2exe [http://www.py2exe.org/].

    > That doesn't answer the question.

    But it may solve his problem, which is the whole point.

    Often in discussions, an OP may ask the wrong question that does not
    solve their problem or is a roundabout way to solve their problem (and
    it may not necessarily be their fault that they asked the wrong
    question). Which is why it is often best to describe the actual problem
    in addition to asking a specific question.
    Lie Ryan, Dec 5, 2011
  5. snorble

    snorble Guest

    On Dec 5, 2:01 am, Wolfgang Strobl <> wrote:
    > "Pedro Henrique G. Souto" <>:
    >
    > >On 02/12/2011 16:34, snorble wrote:
    > >> Is it possible to automate the Python installation on Windows using
    > >> the MSI file so it does not add a Start Menu folder? I would like to
    > >> push out Python to all of my office workstations, but I'd like for it
    > >> to be relatively silent from the user's point of view.

    > >If you just want to run python scripts in those machines (not developing
    > >in it), you can use something like py2exe [http://www.py2exe.org/].

    > That doesn't answer the question.
    >
    > Snorble might use  "ORCA", a MSI editor from Microsoft.
    >
    > http://forums.frontmotion.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=837
    >
    > discusses a similar question for Firefox.
    >
    > I haven't tried it myself, but would give it a try.
    >
    > --
    > Thank you for observing all safety precautions

    Thank you! I got it working using Orca. Initially I had removed all of
    the rows from the Shortcut table and saved the .msi file, but the
    resulting .msi file was only about 600 KB (the original .msi file is
    about 15 MB). I had to create a .mst transform file, and that allows
    Python to install without any Start Menu entries.

    For reference, here's what I did. I opened the python-2.7.2.msi file
    in Orca, then click the Transform menu, then New Transform. Then go to
    the Shortcut table and highlight all of the entries and press the
    Delete key, and acknowledge that it will delete all of the rows. Then
    click the Transform menu and click Generate Transform and save it
    (python-2.7.2-no-icons.mst in my case).

    Once you have the .mst file, you can install it from the command line:

    msiexec /i python-2.7.2.msi TRANSFORMS=python-2.7.2-no-icons.mst

    Or to silently install:

    msiexec /qn /i python-2.7.2.msi TRANSFORMS=python-2.7.2-no-icons.mst
    snorble, Dec 5, 2011