Install this important update

Miha Markic

Hi Chris,

You are not alone...

Miha
I've been blasted with these messages on my email the last couple of days,
containing the W32.Swen.A@mm virus.

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hi Chris,

You are most likely targeting the wrong person - and it could be someone who
isn't even infected. The SWEN virus is probably on someone else's system but
spoofs the sender field to trick you.

It harvests email addresses on the infected computer and then uses the
harvested address to appear as the "sender".

It certainly is frustrating, but responding to these millions of virus messages
only adds to the clutter.

The real issue is whether Microsoft newsgroup should allow attachments at all.
I say we can do without attachments in newsgroups. If you agree, send a message
to (e-mail address removed)?subect=MSNEWS

Ken

--

Important: Patch Windows *beyond* Blaster.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-039.asp

You f***cking asshole, they should trace you, and then cut your balls out, if
you have any. I've been blasted with these messages on my email the last couple
of days, containing the W32.Swen.A@mm virus.
Have a look at
http://www.microsoft.com/security/antivirus/authenticate_mail.asp
Scroll down a bit and you will see this exact message.

Martin Robins

Ken,

I have to disagree with you over the ability to provide attachments,
especially in newsgroups such as this.

Attachments, when used properly, provide an efficient mechanism for
providing supporting information with messages. In the case of this
newsgroup that may be code snippets for example. If a user has a problem
that involves a multi-source solution, they can zip it and post it to the
group for assistance (and many do).

The real problem here is abuse of the ability and this is simply a carry
over from the abuse of email. I note that you have had to disguise your own
email address in order to prevent it being intercepted by the multiple of
email grabbers in use to distribute spam.

The only real cure is the law, and it should state that anybody deliberately
distributing spam or virus' should be publicly flogged (including a webcast)
and then have all fingers amputated in order to prevent them using a
computer again. Repeat offenders (and I doubt there would be many) could be
butt f****d by 100 desperate prisoners! Perhaps this would make people think
twice about the risk before sending these messages. The law (though probably
not as severe as I suggest above) also has to be adopted worldwide without
exception in order to prevent offenders from simply utilising alternative
locations.

Martin.