Installation of Python 2.3 on Windows 95

Don

We have attempted several times to install Python 2.3 on a Windows 95
system. Each time, at the end of the install the following error is
displayed:

Error in installer script.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\FinishInstall.py", line 101, ApplyEntryPoint
apply(ep,args)
File "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\FinishInstall.py", line 82, in
DoCompileAllAndRegisterCOM FindDuplicates(mod,dir)
File "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\FinishInstall.py", line 143, in FindDuplicates
import win32api
ImportError:DLL load failed: A device attached to the system is not
functioning.

On attempting to run PythonWin, we get the following error:

The application cannot locate win32ui.pyd (or Python)(1157)
One of the library files needed to run this application cannot be
located.

I have uninstalled Python, rebooted, reinstalled and the same thing
keeps happening.

I have searched and searched for these errors and cannot find the
problem.

Thank you in advance.

Don

Terry Reedy

Don said:
We have attempted several times to install Python 2.3 on a Windows 95
system. Each time, at the end of the install the following error is
displayed:

Which Python binary are you using. Even 2.3.2 had a DLL glitch that
caused problems on a few systems (though not most). So that was
replaced, perhaps a week ago, with 2.3.2-1. If you are not using this
latest binary, you might give it a try.

TJR

dewatf

[...]

I can't help you but had the same problem. It is with the PythonWin
install not the python 2.3 install.

dewatf.

Thomas Heller

I can't help you but had the same problem. It is with the PythonWin
install not the python 2.3 install.

It seems that either some MS dlls are not present, or not up to date.
I suggest you install a recent Internet Explorer (or MS Office) to bring
the system into a newer state.

Thomas

dewatf

It seems that either some MS dlls are not present, or not up to date.

Things appear to be in the right places, they just don't appear to be
registered so they are found.
I suggest you install a recent Internet Explorer (or MS Office) to bring
the system into a newer state

No there's the rub. Microsoft has expunged the old versions of IE and IE
6.0 won't run under Windows 95, part of their planned obsolesance
strategy. And forget about paying for for a new copy of Office, my old
copy of Excel works fine.

I'll just nake do with writing python scripts in Vim till this computer
falls over and needs a total replacement. Being a Pentium I it doesn't
owe me anything :)

dewatf.

[...]

Here's an update for those who have replied. We downloaded the latest
installations and uninstalled what we had. Howeever, the Win32
extensions do not cleanly uninstall. We reinstalled. Python 2.3.2-1
installs just fine. However the same errors occur with the
win32all-159 installation.

As for the suggestion to install as the administrator...this is
windows 95.

Some have suggested updating DLL files however, no specific DLL is
referenced in the error message.

Thomas Heller

Here's an update for those who have replied. We downloaded the latest
installations and uninstalled what we had. Howeever, the Win32
extensions do not cleanly uninstall. We reinstalled. Python 2.3.2-1
installs just fine. However the same errors occur with the
win32all-159 installation.

As for the suggestion to install as the administrator...this is
windows 95.

Some have suggested updating DLL files however, no specific DLL is
referenced in the error message.

You have looked at this page, haven't you?

<http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/win32/InstallationProblems.html>

Thomas