installing freshly built Ruby under Cygwin

Phil Tomson

I'm running the cygwin tools on an XP box. I've set up the MinGW
environment there and build a MinGW ruby-1.8.1. I did a 'make install'
and I see that it is installing ruby to /usr/local/bin (at least that's
what it's reporting to stdout) but afterwards when I look in
/usr/local/bin there is nothing there. Same with /usr/local/lib, so make
install seems to have done nothing in this case. The 'standard' ruby
1.8.1 that comes with Cygwin (if you select it) is installed in /usr/bin,
so I don't see that there would be any conflict.

Anyone else run into this?

Phil

WATANABE Hirofumi

Hi,

Phil Tomson said:
I'm running the cygwin tools on an XP box. I've set up the MinGW
environment there and build a MinGW ruby-1.8.1. I did a 'make install'
and I see that it is installing ruby to /usr/local/bin (at least that's
what it's reporting to stdout) but afterwards when I look in
/usr/local/bin there is nothing there. Same with /usr/local/lib, so make
install seems to have done nothing in this case. The 'standard' ruby
1.8.1 that comes with Cygwin (if you select it) is installed in /usr/bin,
so I don't see that there would be any conflict.

Anyone else run into this?

Check X:/usr/local. MinGW is not Cygwin.

Phil Tomson

Hi,

Check X:/usr/local. MinGW is not Cygwin.

Oh, I see. The confusing thing is that I'm doing all of this in a Cygwin
Bash shell. /usr/local/bin in the bash shell != C:/usr/local/bin (MinGW's
view). Thanks.

Phil