Installing Python 2.4 over 2.4?

W. eWatson

I suspect something has been corrupted in Python 2.4. Can I just re-install
on top of it, and still expect to have scipy and other pkgs I've installed?
--
W. eWatson

Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>

Steve Holden

W. eWatson said:
I suspect something has been corrupted in Python 2.4. Can I just
re-install on top of it, and still expect to have scipy and other pkgs
I've installed?

On Windows, certainly - you can even uninstall and reinstall and retain
your installed libraries. On Linux I am pretty sure the same is true,
but caveat emptor.

regards
Steve

Terry Reedy

Steve said:
On Windows, certainly - you can even uninstall and reinstall and retain
your installed libraries. On Linux I am pretty sure the same is true,
but caveat emptor.

In Windows, at least, micro version upgrades are handled exactly this
way. When 2.5.3 comes out, for instance, the installer will replace
python files as needed in the current directories but leave
Python25/Lib/Site-Packages and any user-added directories alone.

Martin v. Löwis

W. eWatson said:
I suspect something has been corrupted in Python 2.4. Can I just
re-install on top of it

On Windows, you shouldn't reinstall, but instead run the "repair"
installation, from "Add and remove programs".

Regards,
Martin

W. eWatson

Terry said:
In Windows, at least, micro version upgrades are handled exactly this
way. When 2.5.3 comes out, for instance, the installer will replace
python files as needed in the current directories but leave
Python25/Lib/Site-Packages and any user-added directories alone.
That's good news. I was worried about libraries I had set up.

--

Martin said:
On Windows, you shouldn't reinstall, but instead run the "repair"
installation, from "Add and remove programs".

Regards,
Martin
Do you mean on the Win Control Panel? This is, Remove and Add?

Where do I get a repair installation?

I want to stick with the same version I have. I use Python for a program
whose last update was for the version I have. It's since been bumped up to
2.5, but I'm not ready for it yet.

--
W. eWatson

Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>

Martin v. Löwis

Do you mean on the Win Control Panel?
Yes.

This is, Remove and Add?

This question I do not understand. *What* is "Remove and Add"?

I'm talking about the "Add or [not and] Remove Programs" control
panel item (ARP). You should not remove, then add, Python, but
instead, repair it.
Where do I get a repair installation?

Launch ARP. Seek Python (wait while this list is being populated).
Select Change, then "Repair Python 2.4.4".

Regards,
Martin

W. eWatson

Martin said:
Do you mean on the Win Control Panel?
Yes.

This is, Remove and Add?

This question I do not understand. *What* is "Remove and Add"?

I'm talking about the "Add or [not and] Remove Programs" control
panel item (ARP). You should not remove, then add, Python, but
instead, repair it.
Where do I get a repair installation?

Launch ARP. Seek Python (wait while this list is being populated).
Select Change, then "Repair Python 2.4.4".

Regards,
Martin
Ah, I see there about 5 Python parts in the ARP, and one is Python 2.4.4.
There's a Change/Remove, and clicking on Change brings up a Python window to
change, remove or repair. What is change? A new version?

--
W. eWatson

Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>

Martin v. Löwis

More a generic -- some applications allow one control over optional
features. "Change" would let one, uhm, change the options that were
installed; "repair" attempt to restore the installation to the
configuration that had been "last installed".

In the specific case of Python, the typical choice is whether or not to
install the tests, and whether or not to install Tkinter.

Regards,
Martin