Installing Ruby from Source, README needs the command 'make install-doc' documented

Micah Cochran

Recently, I compiled ruby for the second time in my life last week.
I picked up the latest source release, the ruby-1.8.5.tar.bz2, and the
compile on my Linux box running HostGIS, a Slackware Based Distro, went
great. I am developing a RoR application and need to refer to documentation.
I had a hard time figuring out how to install the ruby documentation for
'ri'. I presume that 'ri' itself was already installed with the 'make
install' command. I expected the ruby documentation that the command would
have been included in the distribution, if it was actually included. I
looked high and low to different Ruby websites for the Official ruby
documentation for 'ri'. It seems like none of the article I read about 'ri'
contained the answer of how to install the documentation for 'ri'. I,
finally, found out that installing the documentation was simply a 'make'
command:
make install-doc

My only request is to include this command in the README file that
is included with the source distribution in a section immediately after the
installation portion of this document. I make this request is so that
everyone who is using ruby in a development environment--myself
included--won't forget this helpful step.

Please let me know what I need to do or who I need to contact in order to
get this into the README file.

Thank you for your help,

Micah Cochran
GIS Coordinator
Engineering Services & Community Development Department
City of Athens, Alabama, USA