Installing Visual Studio 2008, VC++ 9

Discussion in 'C++' started by Jeffâ–²Relf, Jul 6, 2008.

  1. Installing VC9 took me about 16 hours, fully engaged.
    Initially it was all: type in the product key,
    try something different, watch it crash .. repeat.

    After surfing the “ inter webs â€, I knew to unZip WebDesignerCore.EXE,
    so that that part of the install wouldn't just fail silently.
    From there, I ( rightly ) decided I to uninstall Office 2007.

    Office 2007 wouldn't uninstall, of course,
    but “ Windows Install Clean Up †did the trick for me.
    Thank God for blogs .. if they only knew who was reading them.

    Sadly, very sadly, Google Groups ( UseNet ) is Poorly indexed,
    seldom can I find stuff that I absolutely know is there,
    especially if its older than a year or so.

    Google Groups' phrase searchs **** Up plain and simple.
    The web ( HTML ) is much better indexed,
    but it's ( relatively ) outdated .. and not as professional.

    I bet MicroSoft could kick Google's ass ( and more ),
    if it could do a better job indexing UseNet.
    Meanwhile, we can feel good about being on such an exclusice network.

    I spent hours getting these file associations to work again:
    “ www.Cotse.NET/users/jeffrelf/_Crap_.REG â€.

    VC8 was intalled at “ Studio 8/ †so I just did a search and replace,
    making the associations “ Studio 9/ †.. it was Many hours
    before I realized that it's now: “ ...Studio 9.0/ †.. Do-o-oh !

    Oddly, you don't get a 32 bit “ CL.EXE †unless you do a full install.
    Of all the things one might omit from a “ C++ only install †..
    why omit CL.EXE ! ? Link.EXE and all the other suff were there.

    This bug was caught in Beta testing, but not fixed.
    Jeffâ–²Relf, Jul 6, 2008