instant messaging

libsfan01

Hi all

Can javascript be used to create a simple instant messaging interface
on a webpage? if so does anyone good tutorials or resources that are
available (preferably free)?

Logos

Can javascript be used to create a simple instant messaging interface
on a webpage? if so does anyone good tutorials or resources that are
available (preferably free)?

I can't offer any solid advice, but I CAN tell you that meebo.com does
exactly that, and very well too. So does GTalk.

I can definitely tell you that you'd need to use AJAX. A quick google
turned up
http://www.dynamicajax.com/fr/AJAX_Instant_Messenger-271_290_298.html
which looks handy.

Have fun!

Tyler

Logos

I can't offer any solid advice, but I CAN tell you that meebo.com does
I got the impression the OP was looking for a code library to do this on
their own page - I don't think meebo will be of any help there. GTalk I
don't know about.

I wasn't holding them up as tutorial sites - I was holding them up as
examples of a "simple instant messaging interface". Tho meebo is not
very simple. :) libsfan didn't seem to know if it was even possible,
so I wanted to show a couple examples.
Although that is probably one of the better solutions, it CAN be done
without Ajax. Although I don't think there would be much need for js at
that point :)

Sure, you could use an IFRAME or something like that too. Ajax would
probably be quickest, tho. Besides, it's hip and cool and web 2.0!
Just a quick caveat - something like this would be fine for a relatively
small application, but using Ajax would require some sort of polling of
the server (looking for updates), and that could get VERY
traffic-intensive on a busy site.

Not to mention it usually causes the browser to freeze for a second
when it initiates the poll, which is something that drives me nuts with
GTalk. But he did ask for something simple. Meebo uses a much more
sophisticated constant connection, but that requires some fairly heavy
duty configuration on the server side which is an 'eek!' zone for me!

Tyler

libsfan01

Can anyone help me? I have no idea of where to get started learning
Ajax with the intention of creating a chat interface.

Regards

Marc

Logos

libsfan01 said:
Can anyone help me? I have no idea of where to get started learning
Ajax with the intention of creating a chat interface.

Regards

Marc

I suggest you re-read the post in which I linked to IBM's AJAX tutorial
for an IM.

Also, there are about 80 bazillion AJAX tutorials out there, a quick
google will turn up tons.

AJAX is EXTREMELY easy...it should take about 10min to pick up. Attach
callback function to process return data, phone home, all done. I'm no
js burgermeister, and I was up and running with it toot sweet.

Tyler