    Frank
    Frank A. Kingswood Phone: +44-7976-430 569
    Cambridge, United Kingdom
    Frank A. Kingswood, Oct 6, 2006

  2. Frank A. Kingswood

    KJ Guest

    Frank A. Kingswood wrote:
    > Hallo!
    >
    > [This might be a good question for BJ, can you beat him to it?]
    >
    > I would like to instantiate some Xilinx technology specific RAMs
    > without using the core generator wrappers. My RAM block has generics
    > on it to specify the size, and I would like to pass these generics
    > into a XilinxCoreLib component.

    Usually what I do in this type of situation is let the wizard produce
    their files and then hand edit the file(s) as required to add the
    generics that I want to the entity that they created and then use those
    generics in place of where the wizard put my numbers in.

    KJ
    KJ, Oct 6, 2006

  3. Frank A. Kingswood

    manu Guest

    Hello
    apart from certain tricky cases in which you want to optimize internal
    RAM usage by hand, RAM inference should be preferred to instantiation.
    If you use RAM inference instead, you can use generics quite easily.
    You can find sample code for each kind of RAM behavior (read first,
    write first, etc.) in XST user guide.
    Regards

    Manu

    manu, Oct 10, 2006