    feature in this case?

    Thanks for your thoughts...

    Jim Rodgers
    Jim Rodgers, Aug 14, 2007

  2. Jim Rodgers

    Evertjan. Guest

    =?Utf-8?B?SmltIFJvZGdlcnM=?= wrote on 14 aug 2007 in

    > It's perhaps not the end of the World, but I find it annoying
    > that I lose IntelliSense when I reference Subs and Functions
    > I have moved to an #Included file.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a reasonable way to restore the IntelliSense
    > feature in this case?

    On your server, Jim?

    Do servers have IntelliSense features in any case?

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.
    Evertjan., Aug 14, 2007

  3. "Jim Rodgers" wrote:
    > It's perhaps not the end of the World, but I find it annoying
    > that I lose IntelliSense when I reference Subs and Functions
    > I have moved to an #Included file.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a reasonable way to restore the IntelliSense
    > feature in this case?

    Use .asp to name your includes. We use a naming convention like this:

    <!-- #include file="MyInclude.VBS.inc.asp" -->

    This has many benefits beyond Intellisense. You can see by the filename that
    is it an include file written in VBScript. The ASP extension ensures that
    asp.dll parses the script if someone correctly guesses the name and path of
    the include (in IIS5 and earlier, the default configuration would just
    stream the contents of a .inc file as plain text to the requesting browser).

    --
    Dave Anderson

    Dave Anderson, Aug 14, 2007
  4. Jim Rodgers

    Jim Rodgers Guest

    "Evertjan." wrote:

    > =?Utf-8?B?SmltIFJvZGdlcnM=?= wrote on 14 aug 2007 in

    > On your server, Jim?
    >
    > Do servers have IntelliSense features in any case?
    > --
    > Evertjan.
    > The Netherlands.

    Yes.

    I develop ASP Classic files using VBScript and Microsoft
    Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition ("VWD"). (It's very
    much like Visual Studio 2005 -- except it has some additional
    features and many, many flaws and bugs. But it's free, and I
    can get it on all of the PCs in my lab.)

    Anyway, VWD quits giving me IntelliSense for a specific function
    or sub written in VBScript as soon as I put it in my "library" file,
    which is an ASP file that I reference with an #Include directive.

    Eventually, I will decide which of these functions and subs are
    "core" utilities, which are somewhat more application-specific,
    etc., before I compile them into VB6 DLLs for the betterment of
    my life in general.

    Meanwhile, I have to keep opening these [included] asp files to
    remember the call lists, etc.

    It's just now occuring to me -- partly due to the first responses
    I got -- that maybe no one else is having this problem. If not,
    it may be because no one else is using VWD 2005 Express. So,
    is everyone using Visual Studio 2005 ???

    There are numerous anomalies with VWD 2005 Express. For
    example, IntelliSense will quit working for ADODB-declared
    variables if I reference them too many times in the code. And
    some objects won't do IntelliSense even when their enumerated
    constants -ARE- working okay. It seems not to matter whether
    I put the typelib declarations in the [parent] asp file or in the
    global.asa file.

    As I recall from a ten minute test at 4:00am one morning, the
    Visual Studio 2005 design environment doesn't do IntelliSense
    for CSS files.

    So, does anyone know whether Intellisense should be working
    on functions and subs once they have been moved into an
    included asp file? Frankly, I don't see how they could unless
    there is a declaration process at work -- but I guess that is what
    I thought the design environment would do using the #Include
    statement as a gianormous clue.

    Is my question more clear?

    Thank everybody.
    Jim Rodgers, Aug 14, 2007
  5. Jim Rodgers

    Jim Rodgers Guest

    "Dave Anderson" wrote:

    > "Jim Rodgers" wrote:
    > > It's just now occuring to me -- partly due to the first
    > > problem.

    > Of course we are.
    >
    > > If not, it may be because no one else is using VWD 2005
    > > Express. So, is everyone using Visual Studio 2005 ???

    > No way. VWD 2005 Express rocks for classic ASP. It has great Intellisense
    > (when it works), the ability to validate against many DOCTYPEs, extremely
    > customizable auto-formatting, and many other strengths. And the price is
    > right. So is the disk requirement.

    Great feedback. Thanks, I am encouraged. I will now followup
    with some admittedly basic questions, the answers to which will
    drastically improve my productivity!

    ============

    > > IntelliSense will quit working for ADODB-declared variables
    > > if I reference them too many times in the code.

    > I only get that problem inside the catch {} segments (I do ASP in JScript).
    > But I have seen it.

    Thanks, so I am not going crazy (vis-a-vis this issue, anyway.)

    ==========

    > > So, does anyone know whether Intellisense should be working
    > > on functions and subs once they have been moved into an
    > > included asp file? Frankly, I don't see how they could unless
    > > there is a declaration process at work -- but I guess that is
    > > what I thought the design environment would do using the
    > > #Include statement as a gianormous clue.

    > Like I said before, use the .asp extension. If it's used in too many places
    > to do this immediately, you can always make your .inc file a shell that
    > #includes one with the .asp extension.

    Dave, I -DO- use the asp extension. Since, I assume, the file
    contents are simply inserted into the parent file, I always have
    the parent file and the included asp file in "HTML" mode at the
    point of inclusion (i.e., at the #Include).

    Are you saying I -SHOULD- be getting IntelliSense in the parent
    file's VBScript for the subs and functions in the script portions of
    the included asp file? This is what I need, but this is not what I
    am getting.

    In the included asp file, I typically start with <% and end with %>.
    Again, this is because I assume the included file is simply inserted
    by IIS. Should I, instead, be doing this another way? For example,
    (and I never ever do this) should I use this --

    ...optional HTML elements
    <script type="text/vbscript" runat="Server">
    ...VBScript statements...
    </script>
    ...optional HTML elements

    rather than this --

    ...optional HTML elements
    <%
    ...VBScript statements...
    %>
    ...optional HTML elements

    in the included asp file?

    The latter is what I do, and it works fine except for the
    IntelliSense is 100% NONfunctional.

    ==============

    > Note that there is no way to create a new ASP script from
    > {File : New File]. ... Better still, you can put your own
    > customized ASP template there. Mine creates an empty
    > document built around our intranet template...

    Wow. I sure have been doing this the hard way. I was
    wondering about that, too. Especially after you said "VWD
    2005 Express rocks for classic ASP."

    SO, succintly, how do I create and install a custom template
    of any sort? (I would like to have multiple templates for plain
    HTML and for ASP files.)

    Thanks, Dave for helping me out!

    Jim Rodgers
    Jim Rodgers, Aug 15, 2007