Interdev

James Baker

I've always used some "third party" editor, such as dreamweaver, coldfusion,
or even notepad to build ASP pages. I've recently acquired a copy of
Interdev and I'm wondering how people feel about it. I like VS.NET, but I
only have one license for it (at home). Is InterDev worth using?

Thanks,
James

Manohar Kamath [MVP]

What version of InterDev is it? If it is 6.0 (the one that came with Visual
Studio 6.0), I'd say you got yourself a good deal.

James Baker

Thanks for the replies. I've toyed with it for a couple hours now and I'm
running into a problem. Everyone here uses third party editors, so there
are no project files. It's all just ASP files as separate entities. I'd
like to be able to use it as a decent debugger, but I can't debug unless
it's part of a project. I can open the file and use it as an editor, but
that's about it. All of the files are located on a server, not locally.
Any ideas on how I might get around this limitation or otherwise solve this
problem? Thanks!

James Baker

Yeah, I vaguely recall this from my prior stints doing classic ASP. So
essentially, I should use InterDev as a glorified text editor? Oh how I
miss my last position where things were organized and I could use ASP.NET
;-).

Bob Barrows [MVP]

You can add their files into a project. Say you wish to use interdev for a
website called existingsite. The steps would be:

File|New
Type in "existingsite" and click Open
Enter or select the server and click Next
First see if it recognizes existingsite by clicking the "Connect to existing
...." radio button and seeing if "existingsite" is available in the dropdown.
If it is, select it, click Finish, and tell it not to install the script
library
If not, click the "Create new .." radio button and use "existingsite" as the
application name. Click Finish. (Clicking Next allows you to select a theme
and layout. I ususally skip this step. After you click Finish, it will
install the script library which you can delete when the process finishes.
It will also install a global.asa file if one does not exist. You should be
able to see all the files and folders in the the Project Explorer after the
process completes. I have seen a couple of cases where the website security
was set to Anonymous and have had to set it back to the original setting in
IIS Manager.

Bob Barrows

Bob Barrows [MVP]

I still use Interdev for development and debugging. I do not use the DTC's
or Data Environment.

It's more than just a glorified text editor.

Bob Barrows

Tom Kaminski [MVP]

James Baker said:
Thanks for the replies. I've toyed with it for a couple hours now and I'm
running into a problem. Everyone here uses third party editors, so there
are no project files. It's all just ASP files as separate entities. I'd
like to be able to use it as a decent debugger, but I can't debug unless
it's part of a project. I can open the file and use it as an editor, but
that's about it. All of the files are located on a server, not locally.
Any ideas on how I might get around this limitation or otherwise solve this
problem? Thanks!

So why can't you make a project out of those files? You can use FPSE to
connect to the remote server, or just run a local instance of IIS so you can
debug locally (that works better anyway).

--
Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/