Interface to win32 resources

Paul Watson

I need to access Win32 PE resources (strings, dialogs, etc.). Yes, I see
that I can do it using Mark Hammond's win32all.

I am using _winreg which comes with Python to access the registry. I could
also access the registry through win32all.

Is there or has there been any discussion of a _winres to access resources?

I would rather use a module that comes with Python that to require the user
to install win32all. This would reduce complexity and possibly resistance
to using a Python application.

Peter Hansen

Paul said:
I would rather use a module that comes with Python that to require the user
to install win32all. This would reduce complexity and possibly resistance
to using a Python application.

If you use py2exe (or an equivalent), and for that matter use a
proper installer-builder such as InnoSetup, then there will be
no resistance to using a Python application merely because it
requires some of the pywin32 (formerly win32all) stuff. Note
you could also use ctypes (also not part of the core though) which
is quite a bit smaller than pywin32.

If you have a "real" application such that the users might actually
resist using it for such a reason, there's no reason they even
have to know it was done with Python.

-Peter