    and I get "real" error message. Seems totally random as to which I
    get.

    Thanks,
    Bob, Feb 23, 2006

  2. Bob

    Paxton Guest

    Bob wrote:
    > Why does my IIS6 server sometimes give me very good error messages
    > from the VB/ASP interpreter... but mostly give me "Internal Server
    > error 500" messages?
    >
    > Is there some way to force it to give the better error message all the
    > time? the 500 error is totally useless... time to hunt and peck. But,
    > I make a minor tweak in the code, perhaps 'fix' something very small
    > and I get "real" error message. Seems totally random as to which I
    > get.
    >
    > Thanks,

    In IE, go to Tools > Options > Advanced, then uncheck the Show friendly
    http error messages box.

    /P.
    Paxton, Feb 23, 2006

  3. Bob

    Bob Guest

    On 23 Feb 2006 14:23:49 -0800, "Paxton" <> wrote:

    >In IE, go to Tools > Options > Advanced, then uncheck the Show friendly
    >http error messages box.
    >
    >/P.

    Thanks Paxton. Why is it so random as to when it shows the "real"
    error and the 500 error? For example, I just had a program (before I
    read your message) that was giving me the 500 error. I cut out the
    section of code where I thought the problem was, it produced the page
    just fine (lacking some content). I pasted the content back into the
    same file I had just cut it out of to "prove" that I had narrowed the
    bug - and instead of a 500 error I got the "real" error (unterminated
    constant).

    After applying your fix, even the original program is now working...
    so I have a solution, but the somewhat random previous action is
    puzzling.
    Bob, Feb 25, 2006
  4. Bob

    Paxton Guest

    Bob wrote:
    > On 23 Feb 2006 14:23:49 -0800, "Paxton" <> wrote:
    >
    > >In IE, go to Tools > Options > Advanced, then uncheck the Show friendly
    > >http error messages box.
    > >
    > >/P.

    > Thanks Paxton. Why is it so random as to when it shows the "real"
    > error and the 500 error? For example, I just had a program (before I
    > read your message) that was giving me the 500 error. I cut out the
    > section of code where I thought the problem was, it produced the page
    > just fine (lacking some content). I pasted the content back into the
    > same file I had just cut it out of to "prove" that I had narrowed the
    > bug - and instead of a 500 error I got the "real" error (unterminated
    > constant).
    >
    > After applying your fix, even the original program is now working...
    > so I have a solution, but the somewhat random previous action is
    > puzzling.

    The honest answer is I don't know why it was random. I suspected it
    may be that the type of message you get is dependant on what process
    encounters the error (ASP runtime, OLEDB provider etc), so to test this
    theory, I set IE options to defaults, shut down and rebooted, saw that
    Show friendly errors is checked and wrote a script with errors. I get
    a detailed report, not a friendly error - regardless of the error type.

    Consequently, my conclusion is that IE doesn't work as it should in
    this area.

    Switch to Firefox :)

    /P.
    Paxton, Feb 25, 2006
  5. Bob

    Bob Guest

    On 25 Feb 2006 08:07:54 -0800, "Paxton" <> wrote:

    >Consequently, my conclusion is that IE doesn't work as it should in
    >this area.
    >
    >Switch to Firefox :)
    >
    >/P.

    Thanks. That was always my fallback in the past for testing since IE
    has never had a good "reload" function. I should have stuck with
    "tried and true"... been away from this for too long. :)
    Bob, Feb 25, 2006