    Do I have to humour it by putting a copy where it is looking?

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Apr 19, 2004

  2. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 22:28:06 GMT, Roedy Green
    <> wrote or quoted :

    >It is looking in the wrong place. The JVM lives in
    >C:\j2sdk1.4.2_04\jre\bin\client\jvm.dll

    making a copy in some hotspot directories did not help.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Apr 20, 2004

  3. Roedy Green

    JScoobyCed Guest

    "Roedy Green" <> wrote
    > I flipped over to JDK 1.4.2_04 and Internet Explorer stopped being
    > able to run Applets.
    >
    > IE complains that it can't find the java runtime in
    > \bin\hotspot\jvm.dll

    I don't have this problem:
    Windows 2000 Professional + SP4
    Internet Explorer 6 SP1+
    JDK 1.4.2_04

    JScoobyCed
    -------------
    JScoobyCed, Apr 20, 2004
  4. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 09:06:08 +0700, "JScoobyCed" <>
    wrote or quoted :

    >I don't have this problem:
    >Windows 2000 Professional + SP4
    >Internet Explorer 6 SP1+
    >JDK 1.4.2_04

    does anyone know the registry entry by which IE finds Java? Perhaps
    that is hosed in my machine. You'd think the JDK install would fix it
    if it were.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Apr 20, 2004
  5. Roedy Green

    Dave Miller Guest

    In article <>,
    lid says...
    > On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 09:06:08 +0700, "JScoobyCed" <>
    > wrote or quoted :
    >
    > >I don't have this problem:
    > >Windows 2000 Professional + SP4
    > >Internet Explorer 6 SP1+
    > >JDK 1.4.2_04

    > does anyone know the registry entry by which IE finds Java? Perhaps
    > that is hosed in my machine. You'd think the JDK install would fix it
    > if it were.

    It might if it were a decent install package - apparently it is not. The
    only workaround that I have come up with is to uninstall / reboot /
    reinstall *to a different directory* which seems to rewrite the registry
    key. (If you reinstall to the same directory it does not).

    If you find the registry key elsewhere - please post it.

    HTH

    --
    Dave Miller
    FundablePlans - Create a custom business plan online - only $39.95
    Dave Miller, Apr 20, 2004
  6. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 23:32:05 -0400, Dave Miller
    <> wrote or quoted :

    >It might if it were a decent install package - apparently it is not. The
    >only workaround that I have come up with is to uninstall / reboot /
    >reinstall *to a different directory* which seems to rewrite the registry
    >key. (If you reinstall to the same directory it does not).
    >
    >If you find the registry key elsewhere - please post it.

    I tried your technique. No joy. However, I did in the process
    discover something that DOES work. Go into the Java control panel.
    Turn IE off, hit apply, then turn it on again.

    I used to have a tool from Norton that would let you know what keys
    recently changed in the registry. I suppose now that the control
    panel works you could figure it out with something that could compare
    the unicode dumps of the registry before and after.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Apr 20, 2004
  7. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 04:48:52 GMT, Roedy Green
    <> wrote or quoted :

    >I did in the process
    >discover something that DOES work. Go into the Java control panel.
    >Turn IE off, hit apply, then turn it on again

    I have documented this and other recovery techniques for a failed JDK
    install at http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jdk.html

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Apr 20, 2004
  8. Roedy Green

    JScoobyCed Guest

    "Dave Miller" <> wrote

    > > does anyone know the registry entry by which IE finds Java? Perhaps
    > > that is hosed in my machine. You'd think the JDK install would fix it
    > > if it were.

    Note sure that's what you are looking for, but I found jvm.dll on
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\1.4
    and
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\1.4.2_04

    JScoobyCed
    -------------
    JScoobyCed, Apr 20, 2004
  9. Roedy Green

    Mickey Segal Guest

    "Roedy Green" <> wrote in message
    > I flipped over to JDK 1.4.2_04 and Internet Explorer stopped
    > being able to run Applets.

    Had you tried to apply the broken "MS JVM removal tool"? As chronicled in
    the recent thread "Make the MS JVM safe" and
    http://www.physci.org/jvmclean.jsp this could break the ability of Internet
    Explorer to run applets with the Sun JVM.
    Mickey Segal, Apr 20, 2004
  10. Roedy Green wrote:
    > I used to have a tool from Norton that would let you know what keys
    > recently changed in the registry. I suppose now that the control
    > panel works you could figure it out with something that could compare
    > the unicode dumps of the registry before and after.

    Or you could live-monitor and capture the changes with the free registry
    monitor from sysinternals:

    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/regmon.shtml

    /Thomas
    Thomas Weidenfeller, Apr 20, 2004
  11. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 18:06:53 +0700, "JScoobyCed" <>
    wrote or quoted :

    >Note sure that's what you are looking for, but I found jvm.dll on
    >HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\1.4
    >and
    >HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\1.4.2_04

    I found those, and they were correct even when IE was not working
    properly. There may be some indirect key to them that IE has.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Apr 20, 2004
  12. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 08:55:55 -0400, "Mickey Segal"
    <> wrote or quoted :

    >Had you tried to apply the broken "MS JVM removal tool"? As chronicled in
    >the recent thread "Make the MS JVM safe" and
    >http://www.physci.org/jvmclean.jsp this could break the ability of Internet
    >Explorer to run applets with the Sun JVM.

    No the problem came most likely in manually trying to clean the
    registry of all reference to Java in an attempt to get a clean
    install. I took out too much.

    Some one could do the earth a great favour by writing a little sanity
    checker in C that just looked at all the registry entries for Java,
    and either complained, fixed, or asked questions and fixed.

    It would search the disk for JREs and JDKs, ask which ones you wanted
    to keep, and hook them up, and get rid any dangling references.

    If the registry goes, end users are almost helpless to repair the
    problem. The only sure way is to format the disk and start over.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Apr 20, 2004
  13. Roedy Green

    > No the problem came most likely in manually trying to clean the
    > registry of all reference to Java in an attempt to get a clean
    > install. I took out too much.

    It sounds like Microsoft made a similar mistake in their MS JVM removal
    tool. Because of the Sun/Microsoft settlement there is no need for
    Microsoft to issue a new versuion of the tool, but it would be good if they
    could release some fix for those whose Java got hosed. I'm not sure how one
    would find such a fix if it existed.

    > Some one could do the earth a great favour by writing a little sanity
    > checker in C that just looked at all the registry entries for Java,
    > and either complained, fixed, or asked questions and fixed.
    >
    > It would search the disk for JREs and JDKs, ask which ones you wanted
    > to keep, and hook them up, and get rid any dangling references.

    This should be project #1 for the Sun/Microsoft cooperation, getting
    everyone up and running again. Ideally any install of either the Sun or
    Microsoft JVM would do this.
    Mickey Segal, Apr 21, 2004
  14. Roedy Green <> wrote:
    > I flipped over to JDK 1.4.2_04 and Internet Explorer stopped being
    > able to run Applets.
    >
    > IE complains that it can't find the java runtime in
    > \bin\hotspot\jvm.dll

    I had the same problem with Mozilla 1.6 on XP Pro. The exact text of
    the error message was:

    "The Java Runtime Environment cannot be loaded from
    <\bin\hotspot\jvm.dll>"

    In HKLM/SOFTWARE/JavaSoft/Java Plug-in, I have an entry for 1.4.2_04.
    Within, the JavaHome key was set to the JRE installed in C:\Program
    Files\Java\j4re1.4.2_04.

    I changed that entry to the JRE underneath my SDK installation (on my
    drive, C:\java\j2sdk1.4.2_04\jre) and now my browser runs applets
    again.

    Note: There is also a registry entry next to Java Plug-in for Java
    Runtime Environment -- two of them, 1.4 and 1.4.2_04. Both of these
    assign JavaHome to the same JRE in the Program Files directory. I
    haven't changed these to point to the JRE underneath my SDK install,
    but I might if things don't work later.

    BTW, I did all this registry mucking after Eclipse was installed.
    Eclipse still works, so I haven't broken things too badly.
    stacy_friedman, Apr 30, 2004
  15. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 30 Apr 2004 11:20:06 -0700,
    (stacy_friedman) wrote or quoted :

    >"The Java Runtime Environment cannot be loaded from
    ><\bin\hotspot\jvm.dll>"

    I got that one and also messages referring to the uninstalled 1.5. I
    scanned the registry. there was nothing there that could account for
    it.

    So I scanned the hard disk to see where these references were hiding.

    I discovered them in deployment.properties.

    To make a long story short, I discovered I could just delete that
    file, and go into the Java Control panel and hit reset and redo the
    set up and all was ok again.

    I have written a little essay on recovering from failed installs at
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jdk.html#FAILED

    Perhaps now someone might invent a C program that can clean up
    automatically after a failed install. You can't write it in Java,
    because at that time, Java is not working. You could write it in
    Java, if you compiled it to standalone with Jet though.

    Roughly what it would do is scan the entire hard disk for JRE's and
    JDK's check them for reasonable completeness, and ask "which ones do
    you want to keep?" It would then erase the ones you did not want, and
    hook the ones you did in the registry, delete deployment.properties,
    and tell you to run the Java Control Panel.

    I don't yet know what program the Java control Panel is, or how that
    hooks in. It too should be correct.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Apr 30, 2004
  16. Roedy Green <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 09:06:08 +0700, "JScoobyCed" <>
    > wrote or quoted :
    >
    >>I don't have this problem:
    >>Windows 2000 Professional + SP4
    >>Internet Explorer 6 SP1+
    >>JDK 1.4.2_04

    > does anyone know the registry entry by which IE finds Java? Perhaps
    > that is hosed in my machine. You'd think the JDK install would fix it
    > if it were.

    Take a look at:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\JAVA_SUN

    and the SELECT subkey (check both the JAVA_SUN key and the SELECT key; I
    saw pointers to the JVM in both).

    I'm using IE6 on Windows XP Home SP1.

    Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /
    Steven J Sobol, May 1, 2004