internet programming

John Williams

I'm looking to design a program that is able to interact with various
webpages. In particular the goal would be to be able to interact with
the search functions on those pages and on some pages possibly a login
script. Basically I'm looking to replicate the functionality of this
program: http://torrentharvester.awardspace.com/ . However I'm looking
to port it over to c++ using as little platform specific code as
possible (preferably none). However if it's only possible using
platform specific code I'd like to know that so I can start looking for
linux solutions.

I've never written any code that was able to interact with anything
other than the computer it's on so I'm a complete and total beginner
when it comes to web programming. So I'd appreciate any direction as to
where I could start learning what tools c++ provides if any to start the
process.

Phlip

John said:
I'm looking to design a program that is able to interact with various
webpages. In particular the goal would be to be able to interact with the
search functions on those pages and on some pages possibly a login script.
Basically I'm looking to replicate the functionality of this program:
http://torrentharvester.awardspace.com/ . However I'm looking to port it
over to c++ using as little platform specific code as possible (preferably
none). However if it's only possible using platform specific code I'd
like to know that so I can start looking for linux solutions.

Use C++ for the wiring and transport layer of internet applications. For
command-and-control applications, use a very-high-level soft language.

I could write the core of that application in a few hours using Ruby on
Rails and Ferret. You are asking how to reinvent the wheel, using the same
chisels and mallets used to carve the very first one.

kwikius

I could write the core of that application in a few hours using Ruby on
Rails and Ferret. You are asking how to reinvent the wheel, using the same
chisels and mallets used to carve the very first one.

Aint Ruby now getting awards....

.... for being the Slowest language around?

:)

regards
Andy Little

Noah Roberts

John said:
[...]

The ACE framework might be useful to you.

Phlip

kwikius said:
Aint Ruby now getting awards....

... for being the Slowest language around?

In some circles, programmer time costs much more than hardware.

That experience might not be widespread... :)

Phlip