    can someone tell me what i must do that irb accepts german Alt-Gr
    keys on WinXP. I can't type [] {}

    Lothar Scholz http://www.ruby-ide.com

    Lothar Scholz, Nov 25, 2004

  2. Lothar Scholz

    Guest

    , Nov 25, 2004

  3. Lothar Scholz ha scritto:
    > Hello ruby-talk,
    >
    > can someone tell me what i must do that irb accepts german Alt-Gr
    > keys on WinXP. I can't type [] {}

    it should work with this:
    http://whytheluckystiff.net/ruby/dist/Input.euro

    Anyway, I'm not sure if it does for german. For an italian keyboard some
    stuf works, some don't.

    gabriele renzi, Nov 25, 2004
  4. Re: No umlauts in irb?

    Julius Plenz wrote:

    > * Lothar Scholz <> [2004-11-25]:
    >
    >>can someone tell me what i must do that irb accepts german Alt-Gr
    >>keys on WinXP. I can't type [] {}

    > I also have a question related to german keyboards_ Why does irb
    > terminate without any further message when I include some german
    > umlauts (öäüÖÄÜß) which are _not_ in quotes?
    >
    > e/www/plenz,0% irb
    >
    >>>"ä"

    > => "\344"

    > [terminates]
    >
    > Julius

    Same problem here on Win2K, even though I haven't noticed it before
    (thanks Julius). Maybe one should just use english identifiers? (not an
    extremely bad idea anyway IMHO). Just to clarify things, I have readline
    more or less working except for the occasional segfault, and I can type
    [] etc with Alt+Gr just fine. Irb does not terminate immediately after
    entering an Umlaut, only after pressing return.

    D:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\empinator.HAMMING>irb
    irb(main):001:0> a
    NameError: undefined local variable or method `a' for main:Object
    from (irb):1
    irb(main):002:0> "ä"
    => "\204"
    irb(main):003:0> ä

    D:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\empinator.HAMMING>

    best regards,
    Henrik

    Henrik Horneber, Nov 25, 2004
  5. Re: No umlauts in irb?

    Henrik Horneber ha scritto:
    >> I also have a question related to german keyboards_ Why does irb
    >> terminate without any further message when I include some german
    >> umlauts (öäüÖÄÜß) which are _not_ in quotes?

    > Same problem here on Win2K, even though I haven't noticed it before

    same is valid with the italian's accented letters..
    C:\Documents and Settings\gabriele>irb
    irb(main):001:0> è
    C:\Documents and Settings\gabriele>

    There was some talk about this some time ago, maybe looking in the
    archive will find answer (wich I can't remember :/ )

    gabriele renzi, Nov 25, 2004
  6. Re: No umlauts in irb? (was: irb and german keyboard problem)

    * Julius Plenz [Thursday, November 25, 2004 22:59] {comp.lang.ruby}:

    > I also have a question related to german keyboards_ Why does irb
    > terminate without any further message when I include some german
    > umlauts (öäüÖÄÜß) which are _not_ in quotes?

    I couldn't reproduce (*), and then I realized I have RUBYOPT=-Ku.
    unsetting RUBYOPT made irb behave as you describe.

    (*) the output being:

    NameError: undefined local variable or method `ä' for main:Object
    from (irb):1

    --
    Adeodato Simó
    EM: asp16 [ykwim] alu.ua.es | PK: DA6AE621

    Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one
    instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every
    program can be reduced to one instruction which doesn't work.

    Adeodato Simó, Nov 26, 2004