Pycharm / other IDE keyboard shortcut?

Joined
Jul 20, 2023
Messages
56
Reaction score
2
So something that I has been bugging me for a while is not knowing how to "back tab" (I guess??) a block of code. Or "Un-indent" Im not sure what exactly to call it but you probably get the idea. I know that in most coding text editors and IDE's you can highlight a block of code and press TAB and it will indent that whole block of code. And thats really useful when you are adding block statements and functions etc... But what would also be really useful is the exact opposite. To highlight a block of code and set it back an indent or two. I know its possible. I've seen other coders do it on youtube but I dont know how. I do prefer Pycharm but even if you know the shortcut in another editor please let me know, it might help me somehow.

Joined
Jan 24, 2024
Messages
42
Reaction score
7
In PyCharm and many other code editors, you can use the following keyboard shortcuts to indent or unindent a block of code:
  1. Indent:
    • Windows/Linux: Ctrl + ]
    • macOS: Cmd + ]
  2. Unindent:
    • Windows/Linux: Ctrl + [
    • macOS: Cmd + [
These shortcuts work when you have a block of code selected. If you want to indent or unindent a single line, you can position the cursor on that line and use the same shortcuts.

Note: The square brackets [ and ] are used to represent the actual keys on the keyboard.

If you're using a different IDE or text editor, similar shortcuts might apply. In general, you can look for "indent" and "unindent" in the keymap or keyboard shortcuts section of your editor's settings to find the specific shortcuts for your environment.