irb Failing

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Ari Brown, Sep 20, 2007.

  1. Ari Brown

    Ari Brown Guest

    Hey everyone
    So let me begin my story...
    I wanted to be awesome in my own mind, so I decided to learn to
    program ruby. I installed ruby from source on my mac into /usr/local/
    bin and everything went dandy. IRB, erb, rdoc, ri, the whole shebang #!!

    Then I decided it was time for me to upgrade.
    First, I tried installing ruby from darwinports.... No luck....
    So then I tried installing it from scratch again, this time in /opt.
    Ruby works, erb works, RDoc works, everything EXCEPT irb works.

    Here is my error:

    [Snow-iMac: ~] ari$ irb
    dyld: NSLinkModule() error
    dyld: Symbol not found: _rl_filename_completion_function
    Referenced from: /opt/ruby-1.8.6/lib/ruby/1.8/powerpc-darwin8.10.0/
    readline.bundle
    Expected in: flat namespace

    Trace/BPT trap

    I feel like someone should've seen this error before! Turns out Ryan
    Davis, one of my many Ruby gods, has. He had a method which felt sort
    of hacked together. I haven't tried it yet, but before I do....

    Does anyone have any advice on how to solve or fix this?

    Ari
    Nietzsche is my copilot
    Ari Brown, Sep 20, 2007