is a java pppoe possible?

Dennis A. Vitali

Does the microedition allow for pppoe execution. I've only seen stuff like
DatagramServer and DatagramClient examples? Would like to see if I can use
pppoe over wifi with handhelds!
Thank
Dennis A. Vitali
(e-mail address removed)

Daniel Pitts

Dennis said:
Does the microedition allow for pppoe execution. I've only seen stuff like
DatagramServer and DatagramClient examples? Would like to see if I can use
pppoe over wifi with handhelds!
Thank
Dennis A. Vitali
(e-mail address removed)

Its my understanding that PPPoE is lower on the protocol stack then
most people need to worry about. If it works over TCP/IP, it should
work over PPP.

On a side note, PPPoE is a rather silly abstraction anyway... PPP
(Point-to-point protocol) was created as a way to emulate ethernet over
a serial line. PPPoE is a way to emulate PPP over Ethernet, so in a
way, you're emulating Ethernet over Ethernet.

That genius went on to design VoPPPoIPoEoPPPoSLIP. j/k

Anyway, if Java ME support sockets at all, PPP vs WiFi vs Ethernet
should be irrelevant.

Karl Uppiano

Daniel Pitts said:
Its my understanding that PPPoE is lower on the protocol stack then
most people need to worry about. If it works over TCP/IP, it should
work over PPP.

On a side note, PPPoE is a rather silly abstraction anyway... PPP
(Point-to-point protocol) was created as a way to emulate ethernet over
a serial line. PPPoE is a way to emulate PPP over Ethernet, so in a
way, you're emulating Ethernet over Ethernet.

That genius went on to design VoPPPoIPoEoPPPoSLIP. j/k

Anyway, if Java ME support sockets at all, PPP vs WiFi vs Ethernet
should be irrelevant.

Hmmm... One of the things PPPoE does is handle authentication with ISPs for
DSL connections. Silly or not, someone might need the protocol in order to
connect and get an IP address. People usually let their router handle that.
That functionality is definitely below the socket abstraction that Java
normally supplies.

Dennis A. Vitali

according to SUN there our a few jsr's that may apply when released :
jsr 259
and
jsr 279
Dennis