    language. From my basic understanding, it will depend on what the
    programmer's goal is as to which of the two would be used, but I
    didn't know if they were really the same language.
    jmDesktop, Mar 24, 2008

  2. On Mar 24, 12:00 pm, jmDesktop <> wrote:
    > I know that IronPython and CPython are different in that one does not
    > use the .net framework, but are they both really the same Python
    > language. From my basic understanding, it will depend on what the
    > programmer's goal is as to which of the two would be used, but I
    > didn't know if they were really the same language.

    I would say that they're mostly the same. IronPython allows the
    developer to use any of the .NET libraries within their Python
    program, much like Jython allows Python to import Java libraries.

    The main IronPython website has a wiki that outlines the differences:

    http://www.codeplex.com/IronPython/Wiki/View.aspx?title=Differences&referringTitle=Home

    Mike
    Mike Driscoll, Mar 24, 2008

  3. jmDesktop

    Benjamin Guest

    On Mar 24, 12:00 pm, jmDesktop <> wrote:
    > I know that IronPython and CPython are different in that one does not
    > use the .net framework, but are they both really the same Python
    > language. From my basic understanding, it will depend on what the
    > programmer's goal is as to which of the two would be used, but I
    > didn't know if they were really the same language.

    CPython is main implementation. The other implementations, PyPy,
    Jython, and IronPython, are always playing catchup to CPython, so you
    can't expected the latest CPython features in all the implementations.
    Benjamin, Mar 25, 2008