Is it safe to still develop 1.1 apps?

dw

I was listening to a Microsoft Webcast last Friday on Whidbey and migrating
from 1.1 to 2.0. It mentioned having to use a converter tool to migrate apps
to Whidbey. Is it safe to develop ASP.NET 1.1 apps at this point, with 2.0
just around the corner? Will things break on 1.1 apps with the 2.0
framework? I don't know if code-behind pages will still be supported, or
will they break in 2.0 when you try to run the app? Thanks.

Marina

Do you really think MS would make 1.1 completely not backwards compatible?
Of course everything will still run.

The migration is mostly important for development - as the IDE's are
different, so the migration might change some things as far as file
structure, etc.

dw

Whew!! Thanks, Marina. I'm just now listening to the recording of the
Webcast and it says that when you want to modify your old 1.1 projects,
you'd have to run the conversion tool, otherwise the apps will still work
fine. Thank you.

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

If you write something for 1.1 that doesn't work in 2.0 you should file a
bug on it. Compatibility is a big issue with the team.