Is MVC what everyone except Microsoft uses?

jmDesktop

I don't mean that to sound like a troll. I'm only curious because of
the new MVC preview for .NET. Having studied Java, about all I could
find was MVC everywhere. I looked outside of Java and found MVC
utilized a lot. I looked back and MS and found that it wasn't there,
but there was separation of layers. Now Microsoft has and is building
MVC.

Am I right that everyone else has been using MVC for 15 years or more
and that Microsoft just now decided to get it?

Arne Vajhøj

jmDesktop said:
I don't mean that to sound like a troll. I'm only curious because of
the new MVC preview for .NET. Having studied Java, about all I could
find was MVC everywhere. I looked outside of Java and found MVC
utilized a lot. I looked back and MS and found that it wasn't there,
but there was separation of layers. Now Microsoft has and is building
MVC.

Am I right that everyone else has been using MVC for 15 years or more
and that Microsoft just now decided to get it?

MVC is very old.

MVC for Java web apps is only about 10 years old.

It can be argued that web apps can not do true MVC, but non
the less the term is used.

MS could have bet on MVC with ASP.NET 1.0 back in 2002, but
they chose a different approach.

Now MS want to offer the MVC way besides their traditional ASP.NET way.

On the other side JSF is much closer to ASP.NET than Struts
were.

The Java and the .NET world learn from each other.

Arne