Is there a drop down list that is AJAX-updateable?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by K Viltersten, Sep 7, 2009.

  1. K Viltersten

    K Viltersten Guest

    I've performed an usual research to find a control
    that is a text-field BUT with an extra "drop down"
    that gets updated each time the user enters (or
    removes) a character from it.

    Suppose, the user only knows that the requested
    result contains the work "banking". So, as the
    first three letters have been entered, the list of
    possible suggestions should containt both "bandit",
    "bananas", "banking" and, of course, "banking".

    As the entry proceeds, the number of the listed
    valid suggestions gets smaller and smaller.

    Does such a beauty already exist? Or will i have
    to develop it myself?

    --
    Regards
    K Viltersten

    K Viltersten, Sep 7, 2009

  2. K Viltersten

    Mark Stevens Guest

    I think there may be a control in the toolkit which does what you
    want. Check out:

    http://www.asp.net/AJAX/AjaxControlToolkit/Samples/ComboBox/ComboBox.aspx

    Hope this helps,
    Mark

    --
    |\ _,,,---,,_ A picture used to be worth a
    ZZZzzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;, thousand words - then along
    |,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-' came television!
    '---''(_/--' `-'\_)

    Mark Stevens (mark at thepcsite fullstop co fullstop uk)

    This message is provided "as is".

    Mark Stevens, Sep 7, 2009

  3. K Viltersten

    K Viltersten Guest

    As i play with the control, i notice that it
    doesn't decrease the list as i enter more
    characters.

    I'll be managing hundreds of results, at least
    initially, and some of the searches might be
    on form "*blobb*", as well, so i'll need much
    customized behavior.

    Still, perhaps it's an idea to extend the
    behavior of ajaxToolkit:ComboBox, anyway? What
    would you recommend?

    Thanks for the info, by the way!

    K Viltersten, Sep 7, 2009
  4. Google for ajax dropdown autocomplete and you'll find many examples.

    Andrew

    Andrew Morton, Sep 7, 2009
  5. K Viltersten

    Mark Stevens Guest

    Will the autocomplete extender work for you? This may lead to some
    load time issues if the lists are large as it calls a web service to
    restrict the data in the list.

    On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 15:40:18 +0200, "K Viltersten"
    <> wrote:

    >As i play with the control, i notice that it
    >doesn't decrease the list as i enter more
    >characters.
    >
    >I'll be managing hundreds of results, at least
    >initially, and some of the searches might be
    >on form "*blobb*", as well, so i'll need much
    >customized behavior.
    >
    >Still, perhaps it's an idea to extend the
    >behavior of ajaxToolkit:ComboBox, anyway? What
    >would you recommend?
    >
    >Thanks for the info, by the way!

    --
    |\ _,,,---,,_ A picture used to be worth a
    ZZZzzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;, thousand words - then along
    |,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-' came television!
    '---''(_/--' `-'\_)

    Mark Stevens, Sep 7, 2009
  6. K Viltersten

    K Viltersten Guest

    SV: Is there a drop down list that is AJAX-updateable?

    I believe i can take it from here on my own.
    Thanks to both of you for the help.

    Viltersten

    "Mark Stevens" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Will the autocomplete extender work for you? This may lead to some
    > load time issues if the lists are large as it calls a web service to
    > restrict the data in the list.
    >

    > On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 15:40:18 +0200, "K Viltersten"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>As i play with the control, i notice that it
    >>doesn't decrease the list as i enter more
    >>characters.
    >>
    >>I'll be managing hundreds of results, at least
    >>initially, and some of the searches might be
    >>on form "*blobb*", as well, so i'll need much
    >>customized behavior.
    >>
    >>Still, perhaps it's an idea to extend the
    >>behavior of ajaxToolkit:ComboBox, anyway? What
    >>would you recommend?
    >>
    >>Thanks for the info, by the way!

    > --
    > |\ _,,,---,,_ A picture used to be worth a
    > ZZZzzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;, thousand words - then along
    > |,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-' came television!
    >
    > Mark Stevens (mark at thepcsite fullstop co fullstop uk)
    >
    > This message is provided "as is".

    --

    Regards
    Konrad Viltersten