Is there a drop down list that is AJAX-updateable?

K Viltersten

I've performed an usual research to find a control
that is a text-field BUT with an extra "drop down"
that gets updated each time the user enters (or
removes) a character from it.

Suppose, the user only knows that the requested
result contains the work "banking". So, as the
first three letters have been entered, the list of
possible suggestions should containt both "bandit",
"bananas", "banking" and, of course, "banking".

As the entry proceeds, the number of the listed
valid suggestions gets smaller and smaller.

Does such a beauty already exist? Or will i have
to develop it myself?

Mark Stevens

I think there may be a control in the toolkit which does what you
want. Check out:

http://www.asp.net/AJAX/AjaxControlToolkit/Samples/ComboBox/ComboBox.aspx

Hope this helps,
Mark

--
|\ _,,,---,,_ A picture used to be worth a
ZZZzzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;, thousand words - then along
|,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-' came television!
'---''(_/--' `-'\_)

Mark Stevens (mark at thepcsite fullstop co fullstop uk)

This message is provided "as is".

K Viltersten

As i play with the control, i notice that it
doesn't decrease the list as i enter more
characters.

I'll be managing hundreds of results, at least
initially, and some of the searches might be
on form "*blobb*", as well, so i'll need much
customized behavior.

Still, perhaps it's an idea to extend the
behavior of ajaxToolkit:ComboBox, anyway? What
would you recommend?

Thanks for the info, by the way!

--
Regards
K Viltersten

Andrew Morton

Google for ajax dropdown autocomplete and you'll find many examples.

Andrew

Mark Stevens

Will the autocomplete extender work for you? This may lead to some
load time issues if the lists are large as it calls a web service to
restrict the data in the list.

As i play with the control, i notice that it
doesn't decrease the list as i enter more
characters.

I'll be managing hundreds of results, at least
initially, and some of the searches might be
on form "*blobb*", as well, so i'll need much
customized behavior.

Still, perhaps it's an idea to extend the
behavior of ajaxToolkit:ComboBox, anyway? What
would you recommend?

Thanks for the info, by the way!
--
|\ _,,,---,,_ A picture used to be worth a
ZZZzzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;, thousand words - then along
|,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-' came television!

Mark Stevens (mark at thepcsite fullstop co fullstop uk)

This message is provided "as is".

K Viltersten

I believe i can take it from here on my own.
Thanks to both of you for the help.

Viltersten