Is there a graphical GUI builder?

Rex Macey

I'm new to Python and only a hobbyist programmer. A long time ago I used Microsoft's Visual Basic which had a nice (graphical) facility for creating GUIs which was part of the development environment. I'm wondering if there's a utility for Python to build GUIs. I see that there is TKinter, which is a scripting function to build GUIs. To be clear, I'm looking for a graphical interface to build GUIs. Thanks.

Mark Lawrence

I'm new to Python and only a hobbyist programmer. A long time ago I used Microsoft's Visual Basic which had a nice (graphical) facility for creating GUIs which was part of the development environment. I'm wondering if there's a utility for Python to build GUIs. I see that there is TKinter, which is a scripting function to build GUIs. To be clear, I'm looking for a graphical interface to build GUIs. Thanks.

Try typing "python gui builder" into your favourite search engine. If
you're lucky you might find something, if not you'll have to write your
own or do without.

Ian Kelly

I'm new to Python and only a hobbyist programmer. A long time ago I usedMicrosoft's Visual Basic which had a nice (graphical) facility for creating GUIs which was part of the development environment. I'm wondering if there's a utility for Python to build GUIs. I see that there is TKinter, which is a scripting function to build GUIs. To be clear, I'm looking for a graphical interface to build GUIs. Thanks.

wxFormBuilder seems to be popular and works with wxPython. Beyond
that, you might also take a look at the "GUI Design Tools and IDEs"
list at:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/GuiProgramming

Chris Angelico

I'm new to Python and only a hobbyist programmer. A long time ago I usedMicrosoft's Visual Basic which had a nice (graphical) facility for creating GUIs which was part of the development environment. I'm wondering if there's a utility for Python to build GUIs. I see that there is TKinter, which is a scripting function to build GUIs. To be clear, I'm looking for a graphical interface to build GUIs. Thanks.

That way of building a window tends to produce programs that port
badly to other systems. Back in the 1990s, I used to build windows
that way (mainly using VX-REXX); playing with Java applets introduced
the novel and somewhat strange idea that your window should be built
using rules and layouts, to avoid problems with button sizes, fonts,
etc, etc. Today, cross-platform code is the norm, not a curiosity, so
this method of building up a window is correspondingly more plausible.
I strongly recommend it.

You have to think about your window differently - think about what
you're putting where, rather than going visually "that looks about
right" - but the reward is that it'll look right no matter where you
run your app. As an added bonus, you don't need any sort of graphical
builder; you can just write code directly in your editor.

ChrisA

Phil

I'm new to Python and only a hobbyist programmer. A long time ago I used Microsoft's Visual Basic which had a nice (graphical) facility for creating GUIs which was part of the development environment. I'm wondering if there's a utility for Python to build GUIs. I see that there is TKinter, which is a scripting function to build GUIs. To be clear, I'm looking for a graphical interface to build GUIs. Thanks.

I'm new to Python myself and the best IDE that I've found is Eric.

Miki Tebeka

I'm wondering if there's a utility for Python to build GUIs.
IIRC the Qt builder can generate Python code.

duncan smith

I'm new to Python and only a hobbyist programmer. A long time ago I used Microsoft's Visual Basic which had a nice (graphical) facility for creating GUIs which was part of the development environment. I'm wondering if there's a utility for Python to build GUIs. I see that there is TKinter, which is a scripting function to build GUIs. To be clear, I'm looking for a graphical interface to build GUIs. Thanks.

Boa Constructor perhaps (http://boa-constructor.sourceforge.net/).

Duncan

Roland Koebler

Hi,
I'm new to Python and only a hobbyist programmer. A long time ago I used Microsoft's Visual Basic which had a nice (graphical) facility for creating GUIs which was part of the development environment. I'm wondering if there's a utility for Python to build GUIs.
yes, there are several, depending on the GUI-toolkit (GTK+, Qt, ...)
you want to use.

But I would recommend Glade and the GTK+-Toolkit. Simply search
for Glade, GTK and Python in your favourite search engine, and you
will find several tutorials.

regards,
Roland

Michael Torrie

Hi,

yes, there are several, depending on the GUI-toolkit (GTK+, Qt, ...)
you want to use.

But I would recommend Glade and the GTK+-Toolkit. Simply search for
Glade, GTK and Python in your favourite search engine, and you will
find several tutorials.

I agree that on Linux GTK is pretty darn slick. I use it for all my
little GUIs. But on Windows, GTK, particularly under python, isn't
quite as easy to get running. Just be forewarned. Doesn't seem to me
that GTK on windows is being developed at the same pace as it is on Linux.

I think if the OP is on windows (which it seems like he is) then Qt with
PySide (using either QML or QtDesigner to manipulate ui files) is an
excellent choice.

Steve Simmons

I'm new to Python and only a hobbyist programmer. A long time ago I used Microsoft's Visual Basic which had a nice (graphical) facility for creating GUIs which was part of the development environment. I'm wondering if there's a utility for Python to build GUIs. I see that there is TKinter, which is a scripting function to build GUIs. To be clear, I'm looking for a graphical interface to build GUIs. Thanks.
Take a look at Qt (and PyQt) - this includes QtDesigner, a nice GUI
design/generation tool. Three caveats:

1. Read and Re-read the response from Chris Angelico - IME he knows what
he is talking about and I'm just in the process of learning first hand
what he is telling you (I'm writing an application in Python with PyQt).
2. Qt isn't 'free' (depending on what you are going to be doing with it)
- read the licensing rules.
3. QtDesigner isn't Visual Studio and creating a GUI in Qt/PyQt tends to
be a process of GUI design, GUI code generation and integration with
your 'business logic.' There's no round-trip-engineering, so if you
mess with your GUI code after generating it, it isn't easy to get it
back into QtDesigner.

Steve Simmons

Roland Koebler

Hi,
That way of building a window tends to produce programs that port
badly to other systems.
hmm, I don't think so. I've build several applications in C + GTK/Glade and
Python + GTK/Glade, which easily run on Linux and Windows without any GUI
changes.
playing with Java applets introduced
the novel and somewhat strange idea that your window should be built
using rules and layouts, to avoid problems with button sizes, fonts,
etc, etc.
Do you know the container-concept of GTK+ and Glade?

In many GUI-builders, you set your widgets to fixed positions (e.g. a text
field at x16/y16 with 100*30 pixels, a button at x16/y50 with 100*50 pixels
etc.). This is *bad*, and causes all kinds of problems with e.g. different
window- or font-sizes, like widgets outside of the visible window, text
running over the border of a widget or being cut at the edge of the widget
etc.

But: GTK+ has a wonderful concept of "containers" [*]. You normally don't
set widgets to fixed positions -- instead, you add layout tables (or
vertical boxes or horizontal boxes or ...), and essentially define
that some widgets should be above each other, side by side or in a grid
layout, so you more or less define the layout logically. The real size
and position of the widgets is dynamically calculated by GTK+, so they
always have the right size, and different font sizes, different window
sizes, etc. are not a problem anymore [q]. And Glade (the GTK+ GUI builder)
works exactly that way.

[*] Besides, the container-concept also allows such nice things like
putting anything inside a button (e.g. 2 images and a label), or inside
a notebook tab etc. pp.

[q] In Qt, it's also possible to generate such flexible layouts. But
it's unfortunately not the default way in Qt, and the Qt designer only
supports it rudimentarily, and in a much less obvious way. And Qt does
not have such a "container"-concept, where many widgets (e.g. buttons,
notebook registers etc.) contain other widgets.
You have to think about your window differently - think about what
you're putting where, rather than going visually "that looks about
right" - but the reward is that it'll look right no matter where you
run your app.
Yes, that's also true for GTK+/Glade.
But you have the choice to either build you GUI graphically with your
mouse, or textually in your editor -- or mix both.

regards
Roland

Phil Thompson

On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 10:34:50 +0100, Roland Koebler <[email protected]>

[q] In Qt, it's also possible to generate such flexible layouts. But
it's unfortunately not the default way in Qt, and the Qt designer only
supports it rudimentarily, and in a much less obvious way. And Qt does
not have such a "container"-concept, where many widgets (e.g. buttons,
notebook registers etc.) contain other widgets.

I'm sorry but all of that is completely wrong. Using layouts that
automatically adapt to fonts, the size of widgets being laid out etc. is
the default way. You could use explicit sizes and positions if you wanted
to, but that would be bad for the reasons you gave. Qt does have a
container concept - that's what a QWidget is (the base class of all
widgets).

Phil

Chris Angelico

Hi,

hmm, I don't think so. I've build several applications in C + GTK/Glade and
Python + GTK/Glade, which easily run on Linux and Windows without any GUI
changes.

Do you know the container-concept of GTK+ and Glade?

Yes, I do; it's just that I first met that concept when I started
playing with Java applets. Up until then, all my UIs had been either
textual or laid out with pixel-based positioning in a WYSIWYG layout
editor.
[...]

Precisely. That's the fundamental difference of thinking. I haven't
actually used Glade, preferring to lay things out myself in actual
code, but the difference isn't so much between "visual layout editor"
and "code to create stuff" as it is between "pixel-positioning" and
"rule-based layout". And it's that difference that creates the
distinction between programs that look terrible on anything other than
the programmer's own system, and those that look fine on any platform.

Same thing happens with web browsers, too, except that they're a lot
more likely to be flat-out buggy (I do not EVER want to go back to
making a web page look correct in IE6).
[*] Besides, the container-concept also allows such nice things like
putting anything inside a button (e.g. 2 images and a label), or inside
a notebook tab etc. pp.

Not that you'll actually *use* that flexibility very often, but it
sure is nice when you want it! And it's a cleanliness of design, too;
instead of having the PushButton subclassed to be the ImagePushButton,
and having the Notebook have special code to permit you to put an icon
on the tab, no, you just have the button surface and the tab accept
one child, which can be a layout manager. What if you like how the
image+text button looks, but want the image to take 25% of any spare
space and the text to grab the other 75%? I've no idea if that level
of flexibility will EVER be wanted, but you can do it with an Hbox
layout manager, so you can do it on a button.

It's a huge change of thinking, if you've grown up laying things out
on pixels. But it's SO worthwhile.

ChrisA

Roland Koebler

Hi,
I agree that on Linux GTK is pretty darn slick. I use it for all my
little GUIs. But on Windows, GTK, particularly under python, isn't
quite as easy to get running.
installing GTK+ 2.x should be easy, since there are all-in-one-installers
for windows on http://www.gtk.org (for GTK+) and http://www.pygtk.org
(for Python+GTK+).

Installing GTK+ 3.x on windows is currently a bit more complicated, but this
situation should improve soon.
I think if the OP is on windows (which it seems like he is) then Qt with
PySide (using either QML or QtDesigner to manipulate ui files) is an
excellent choice.
I never was happy with QtDesigner -- I always struggled *a lot*
(in contrast to Glade, where most things worked like a charm).

I not even achieved to rename the tab of a notebook (?!) or to create
a button with an icon above the text, or a grid layout without a fixed
layout. It even seems that the QtDesigner doesn't even provide standard-
icons (e.g. for open, close, exit etc.) or a file dialog. Am I doing
something fundamentally wrong in QtDesigner, or is QtDesigner really
that bad?

regards
Roland

Roland Koebler

Hi,
[q] In Qt, it's also possible to generate such flexible layouts. But
it's unfortunately not the default way in Qt, and the Qt designer only
supports it rudimentarily, and in a much less obvious way. And Qt does
not have such a "container"-concept, where many widgets (e.g. buttons,
notebook registers etc.) contain other widgets.

I'm sorry but all of that is completely wrong. Using layouts that
automatically adapt to fonts, the size of widgets being laid out etc. is
the default way. You could use explicit sizes and positions if you wanted
to, but that would be bad for the reasons you gave.
hmm, interesting, but then Qt Designer is a total mess.

In Qt Designer (at least in 4.x), the default is a fixed layout, where
I have to position the widgets at precise pixel-positions and have to
define the size in pixels. And I cannot remove the default fixed layout
without modifying the .ui-file in a text editor!
Qt does have a
container concept - that's what a QWidget is (the base class of all
widgets).
A container concept like in GTK+ is *much* more than having a base
widget where all widgets are derived from, or having layout boxes.
It means that most widgets are containers, like buttons, notebook
labels, checkboxes, radio buttons, scrollbar-windows etc.
And I haven't seen anything like this in Qt (or: in Qt Designer).

regards
Roland

Phil Thompson

Hi,
[...]

I'm sorry but that is just wrong. You position the widgets roughly, select
them, then click on the button corresponding to the layout you want to
apply. By selecting a sub-set of the widgets you can create a sub-layout
which itself can be part of a parent layout. You therefore create any sort
of layout you want without specifying a single pixel position or size.

Phil

Roland Koebler

Hi Phil,
I'm sorry but that is just wrong.
I now found out, that I can indeed change the default fixed layout by
clicking onto the empty main window or by selecting the main window in
the Object Inspector and then clicking on a layout-icon on the toolbar.
Thanks.

I hope that most developers who use Qt use this feature, since the fixed
layout is the default in Qt designer and it's not really obvious how to
change this for beginners...

regards
Roland

Laszlo Nagy

You have to think about your window differently - think about what
you're putting where, rather than going visually "that looks about
right" - but the reward is that it'll look right no matter where you
run your app. As an added bonus, you don't need any sort of graphical
builder; you can just write code directly in your editor.
Yes, but these are not mutually exclusive. There can be (and there are)
GUI tools that let you arrange your widgets with layouts and rules. In
other words, using layouts and rules does not alone make it impossible
to use a GUI builder.

Chris Angelico

Yes, but these are not mutually exclusive. There can be (and there are) GUI
tools that let you arrange your widgets with layouts and rules. In other
words, using layouts and rules does not alone make it impossible to use a
GUI builder.

Agreed, as I clarified in my subsequent post. My original statement
was a tad broad. The GUI builder isn't the problem, but the Visual
BASIC GUI builder is pixel-based, and is therefore part of what I
described as tending to produce non-portable UIs.

ChrisA

Kevin Walzer

I see that there is TKinter, which is a scripting function to build GUIs. To be clear, I'm looking for a graphical interface to build GUIs.

Tkinter is so easy to use to build GUI's that a GUI tool isn't needed.
Hardly any Tk or Tkinter developer uses anything but a text editor and
console to develop a user interface.