is there a policy type file needed for JSP file privileges?

anikkar

hi,

I am just getting started with JSPs, and i am writing a few small
utility files, and i am having trouble writing to a text file.

my java file is as such:

import java.io.*;

public class Utils {

public static final int EOF = -1;

public static String writeFile(String file) {
try {
BufferedWriter out = new BufferedWriter(new FileWriter(file));
out.write("This is a test");
out.close();
return "succes";

}
catch(Exception e) {
return e.getMessage();

and my jsp:

<%@ page import="java.util.Enumeration"%>
<%@ page import="com.lambandtunafish.Utils"%>
<B>Test</B><BR>
<%
out.println(Utils.writeFile("/home/content/b/u/d/budweiser/html/test/test.txt"));

%>

But when I run it, I get the following:

access denied (java.io.FilePermission
/home/content/b/u/d/budweiser/html/test/test.txt write)

I have tried it both when the test.txt file exists, and does not exists
(i.e. java creates the file). I do have read permission, as I have been
able to read from the file.

what I am having trouble with is setting the write permission

I have tried contacting my hosting company, and as usual i got the
simple response of: "make sure your permissions are set
correctly"...which i'm not so sure on how to do that with java...any
ideas..thanks!?

josh.s17

It may be related to the way your application server is configured. I
know with websphere the default settings do not allow an application to
write to the file system.

anikkar

yea, that may be the case, if so, does that mean I am pretty much
screwed if I want to do any File output?

my provider is godaddy, and theier tomcat version is 5.0.27.

josh.s17

I'm not familiar with changing that setting for Tomcat but I'm sure it
is possible. Whether your provider will allow you to change it is
another matter