Is there any free site giving C++ standard?

Dave

Is there a site giving the definition of ISP standard C++, without paying out
money? If not, is there anything closely resembling this?

I have the same issue with C, so if you know if sites with the C standard,
without shelling out money, please let me know.

Dave
--
I respectfully request that this message is not archived by companies as
unscrupulous as 'Experts Exchange' . In case you are unaware,

Victor Bazarov

Dave said:
Is there a site giving the definition of ISP standard C++, without
paying out money? If not, is there anything closely resembling this?

It's a FAQ. Please read FAQ before posting.
I have the same issue with C, so if you know if sites with the C
standard, without shelling out money, please let me know.

'comp.lang.c' is down the hall to the left.

dragan

Dave said:
Is there a site giving the definition of ISP standard C++, without
paying out money? If not, is there anything closely resembling this?

This Wikipedia page refers to the draft standard (N3000 at the date of this
posting):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C++0x

I have the same issue with C, so if you know if sites with the C
standard, without shelling out money, please let me know.

Maybe you will find something similar on Wikipedia for C if C is undergoing
active revision.

Dave

Victor said:
It's a FAQ. Please read FAQ before posting.

What FAQ? There are tons of them, and one the one I found specific to this
newsgroup was not very helpful. Perhaps you could give me a link.
'comp.lang.c' is down the hall to the left.

I must say, of all the newsgroups I ever use, this is the most 'unfriendly'. I
guess that is one good reason for now wishing to program in C++ too much.

It's just you, but seems to be an attitude unique to comp.lang.c++

--
I respectfully request that this message is not archived by companies as
unscrupulous as 'Experts Exchange' . In case you are unaware,
'Experts Exchange' take questions posted on the web and try to find
idiots stupid enough to pay for the answers, which were posted freely
by others. They are leeches.

Alf P. Steinbach

* Dave:
What FAQ? There are tons of them, and one the one I found specific to
this newsgroup was not very helpful. Perhaps you could give me a link.

The FAQ for this ng is Marshal Cline's "C++ FAQ lite", which is the first hit
when you google "C++ FAQ":

<url: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=c+++faq>

I must say, of all the newsgroups I ever use, this is the most
'unfriendly'. I guess that is one good reason for now wishing to program
in C++ too much.

It's just you, but seems to be an attitude unique to comp.lang.c++

Ha ha! You forgot a "not"! OMG, ROFLMAO! :) :) :)

Cheers,

- Alf

PS: You can get the latest draft of the C++0x standard in PDF from the C++
comittees pages. For C++98 you can also get the latest draft before
standardization (it's almost the same, good enough), called the "CD2", in PDF
from various sources, including from Bjarne Stroustrup's pages, or at least it
used to be there. Hth.

Victor Bazarov

Dave said:
[..]
I must say, of all the newsgroups I ever use, this is the most
'unfriendly'. I guess that is one good reason for now wishing to program
in C++ too much.

When you figure it out, come back and share with us. We've been really
struggling to understand whether we should continue with our careers
(from what I can see, most of which are reasonably successful) or just
throw it all away and go flip burgers, and maybe we're missing something
terribly...

Jorgen Grahn

I must say, of all the newsgroups I ever use, this is the most 'unfriendly'.
I guess that is one good reason for now wishing to program in C++ too much.
It's just you, but seems to be an attitude unique to comp.lang.c++

I can only name one or two which are better, and several newsgroups
which are far worse than comp.lang.c++. I think people here are
generally helpful, if you have questions which interest them. The
problem is, your two questions have been asked here over and over for
decades, and they tend to be followed up by whiny "but standards
should be *free*!" complaints[1] and general confusion.

In that light, I think the "down the hall" remark was pretty mild.

/Jorgen

[1] One of my very first postings to comp.lang.c in the mid-1990s was
such a complaint. They didn't take it well back then,

Dave

Jorgen said:
I can only name one or two which are better, and several newsgroups
which are far worse than comp.lang.c++.

We must obviously visit different newsgroups.

Take a look on comp.unix.solaris. Numerous people ask questions on there, which
are covered somewhere in Sun's documentation. Usually others will answer the
question, and take time to find the relevant Sun document if they know how best
to find it. They then post a link. Sometimes (quite often in fact), it is not so
easy to find the right document.

In the case here, a Google of C++ and FAQ returned 800,000 links, and even the
one that looked like it was related to the newsgroup, was not helpful.
I think people here are
generally helpful, if you have questions which interest them.

If I only ever answered questions which interested me on newsgroups, I'd answer
a lot less than what I do. I will often answer questions for which I know the
answer, even if the subject is not high on my list of interests.

If someone wants to find out what release of Solaris they are running, it is
hardly of great interest to me. But I will tell them to type

$ cat /etc/release

No doubt the answer can be found on Sun's web site, but I would not say "look on
docs.sun.com" or the even less helpful "look at Sun's documentation".

The
problem is, your two questions have been asked here over and over for
decades, and they tend to be followed up by whiny "but standards
should be *free*!" complaints[1] and general confusion.

There is a reasonable argument that *some* standards should be free.

In the case of the 17th Edition of the IEE wiring regulations, it is clear the
only people that need that standard are professional electricians. It is not
unreasonable they pay for the standard.

Likewise for standards regarding aircraft maintenance, medical electronics, and
numerous other subjects. (I'm excluding students, who will probably have access
via their uni/college).

In the case of POSIX, C and C++ standards, the standards bodies should realise
that a lot of people that could usefully access those standards are developing
open-source software, for which they do not get paid.

It's also clear there is some pretty poor software written, which might to a
certain extent be improved if people had access to the final standards - not
just drafts.
In that light, I think the "down the hall" remark was pretty mild.

Personally I find it a bit rude.

Dave

--
I respectfully request that this message is not archived by companies as
unscrupulous as 'Experts Exchange' . In case you are unaware,
'Experts Exchange' take questions posted on the web and try to find
idiots stupid enough to pay for the answers, which were posted freely
by others. They are leeches.

Bo Persson

Dave said:
There is a reasonable argument that *some* standards should be free.

In the case of the 17th Edition of the IEE wiring regulations, it
is clear the only people that need that standard are professional
electricians. It is not unreasonable they pay for the standard.

Likewise for standards regarding aircraft maintenance, medical
electronics, and numerous other subjects. (I'm excluding students,
who will probably have access via their uni/college).

In the case of POSIX, C and C++ standards, the standards bodies
should realise that a lot of people that could usefully access
those standards are developing open-source software, for which they
do not get paid.
It's also clear there is some pretty poor software written, which
might to a certain extent be improved if people had access to the
final standards - not just drafts.

I assume you can afford a computer to write the software on. Then
perhaps you can afford a book as well?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Standard-Incorporating-Technical-Corrigendum-No/dp/0470846747

Bo Persson