Is there anyway to check the number of I/O registered in poll?

crow

I'm using select.poll to do I/O polling. polling is placed in a
independent thread

from select import poll
_poller = poll()

def poll(timeout):
l = _poller.poll(timeout)
return l

In my code, in some context, the timeout value will be high ( like 1
hour ), but there is no I/O in _poller, then this poll action will be
blocked till timeout.

Is there anyway to find how many I/O in _poller? Thus I can avoid
polling.

Thanks in advance.