Is there such a thing as PERL portability checklist ...

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by martin, May 10, 2006.

  1. martin

    martin Guest

    Hi, I have read the group collecting bits and pieces of information
    about the topic that I am doing this post on. However I failed to find
    the sort of comprehensive information I am looking, hence my posting
    now. Imagine you had a perl script that you had inherited and you
    needed to ensure it is portable across a variety of platforms/OSs.

    My question or rather questions are:

    1- Is there a checklist available somewhere to use as a guideline in
    assessing portability of the code.This could be a known inventory of
    portability guidelines.
    2- Are there any known non-portable constructs listed somewhere that
    one could use as a basis for checking the code against? This could be
    even some perl built in functions or constructs that are non-portable.
    3- what is the highest priority items to check for?
    4- what kind of key questions one needs to ask, what kind of
    information to collect about platform,OS, ...?

    Well, this could be a tall order,but I thought it would be nice to know
    how some of the experts would go about this task and what methodologuy
    they would adopt to get the most done in the least amount of time.

    Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks. Martin

    martin, May 10, 2006

  2. martin

    Mumia W. Guest

    martin wrote:
    > [...]
    > 1- Is there a checklist available somewhere to use as a guideline in
    > assessing portability of the code.This could be a known inventory of
    > portability guidelines. [...]

    First, try "man perlport" and "man File::Spec"

    Off the top of my head, I can think of these things that would hurt
    portability:
    * the use of system commands rather than perl modules (e.g. unix find
    vs. File::Find)
    * assuming the path separator is '/' or '\\'
    * assuming the locations of things on the filesystem
    * using proprietary libraries

    Mumia W., May 10, 2006

  3. Mumia W. wrote:
    > Off the top of my head, I can think of these things that would hurt
    > portability:
    > * the use of system commands rather than perl modules (e.g. unix find
    > vs. File::Find)
    > * assuming the path separator is '/' or '\\'
    > * assuming the locations of things on the filesystem
    > * using proprietary libraries

    * assuming a file is a stream of bytes

    hp

    --
    _ | Peter J. Holzer | Man könnte sich [die Diskussion] auch
    |_|_) | Sysadmin WSR/LUGA | sparen, wenn man sie sich einfach sparen
    __/ | http://www.hjp.at/ | -- Ralph Angenendt in dang 2006-04-15

    Peter J. Holzer, May 10, 2006