Is this a joke?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Richard, Jan 7, 2005.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    I just got an e-mail from an outfit using the name "South trust bank".

    Smells like a scam right off the start.
    "Dear customer........your account is in......."

    Huh? What account? I do not have an account with you buttheads.
    So curios me clicks on the link and......
    "ACCESS DENIED"
    Say what?
    I kid you not. See for yourself.
    https://southtrustonlinebanking.com/

    contents to be listed.</body></html>

    That's the entire coding for the page.
    Now what's the point of wasting everyone's time with junk mail that doesn't
    go anywhere that's even useful?

    Ok. So which one of you clowns is responsible?
    'fess up now. You've been caught.
    Richard, Jan 7, 2005

  2. In article <>, Anonymous@127.001 says...
    > I just got an e-mail from an outfit using the name "South trust bank".
    >
    > Smells like a scam right off the start.
    > "Dear customer........your account is in......."

    Looks like a phishing scam, you dipshit. What would that have to do
    with us? Do you really think you're work the effort, RtS?

    --
    Hywel http://kibo.org.uk/
    I do not eat quiche.
    Hywel Jenkins, Jan 7, 2005

  3. On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, Richard wrote:

    > I just got an e-mail from an outfit using the name "South trust bank".
    >
    > Smells like a scam right off the start.
    > "Dear customer........your account is in......."
    >
    > Huh? What account? I do not have an account with you buttheads.
    > So curios me clicks on the link and......
    > "ACCESS DENIED"
    > Say what?
    > I kid you not. See for yourself.
    > https://southtrustonlinebanking.com/

    > contents to be listed.</body></html>
    >
    > That's the entire coding for the page.
    > Now what's the point of wasting everyone's time with junk mail that doesn't
    > go anywhere that's even useful?
    >
    > Ok. So which one of you clowns is responsible?
    > 'fess up now. You've been caught.

    It's probably a phishing attempt. The host most likely nuked the
    phisher's page before you got to see it. It would have likely been
    a phoney copy of the bank's website with a form to enter your account
    information. Had you had an account at that bank and had fallen for
    the fake notice you received and the fake website, the phisher would
    have cleaned out your bank account.

    Customers or possible customers of eBay, PayPal, just about every bank
    in the civilised world (and also the US) and credit card companies have
    been targetted for this scam.

    Some warnings by a few of the companies concerned:

    USBank: Email Fraud Information and Help
    http://www.usbank.com/cgi_w/cfm/promo/personal/fraud_email_info_and_help.cfm
    USBank: Identity Theft
    http://www.usbank.com/cgi_w/cfm/personal/achieve_goals/id_theft.cfm

    eBay: Spoof Email Tutorial - Page 1
    http://pages.ebay.com/education/spooftutorial/

    Scotiabank - Safe Computing Practices
    http://www.scotiabank.com/cda/content/0,1608,CID417_LIDen,00.html

    Visa Canada | Personal Card Options | Secure With Visa
    http://www.visa.ca/en/personal/shop_protect_email.cfm

    RBC Royal Bank - More New and Notables
    http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/products/fraud_advisory.html

    Phishing in the news:

    "BBC NEWS | Technology | E-mail scam hits MBNA customers"

    "MercuryNews.com | 07/22/2003 | ID thieves `phish' for victims with fake
    e-mails, Web sites"
    http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/6356396.htm

    "ContraCostaTimes.com | 07/22/2003 | Phishing' latest Internet scam"
    http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/business/6356590.htm?1c

    "PCWorld.com - 'Phishing' Scam Reports Jump"

    Resources for combatting phishing:

    Anti-Phishing Working Group
    http://www.antiphishing.org/index.html

    Anti-Phishing Working Group - Stop Phishing and Email Scams
    http://www.antiphishing.org/resources.htm

    Federal Trade Commission - ID Theft
    http://www.consumer.gov/idtheft/

    Federal Trade Commission - Protect Against ID Theft
    http://www.consumer.gov/idtheft/protect_againstidt.html#12

    RCMP Frauds and Scams - Identity Theft
    http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/scams/identity_e.htm

    out-law.com - legal news and business guides
    http://www.out-law.com/php/page.php?page_id=phishingprotection1082046132&area=news

    --
    Norman De Forest http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~af380/Profile.html
    [=||=] (A Speech Friendly Site)
    Norman L. DeForest, Jan 7, 2005
  4. Richard

    Rocky Guest

    Rocky, Jan 7, 2005
  5. On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 03:30:20 -0400, Norman L. DeForest <>
    wrote:

    > Customers or possible customers of eBay, PayPal, just about every bank
    > in the civilised world (and also the US)

    <grin />

    --
    ,-- --<--@ ---- PretLetters: 'woest wyf', met vele interesses: -----------.
    | weblog | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/_private/weblog.html> |
    Barbara de Zoete, Jan 7, 2005
  6. Richard

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > I just got an e-mail from an outfit using the name "South trust bank".
    >
    > Smells like a scam right off the start.
    > "Dear customer........your account is in......."
    >
    > Huh? What account? I do not have an account with you buttheads.
    > So curios me clicks on the link and......
    > "ACCESS DENIED"
    > Say what?
    > I kid you not. See for yourself.
    > https://southtrustonlinebanking.com/

    > contents to be listed.</body></html>
    >
    > That's the entire coding for the page.
    > Now what's the point of wasting everyone's time with junk mail that doesn't
    > go anywhere that's even useful?
    >
    > Ok. So which one of you clowns is responsible?
    > 'fess up now. You've been caught.

    By clicking it you verified the phisher/spammer that your email address
    is valid and being read... you can probably expect a mass of spam from
    now onwards. Are you a total newbie!??? This is a very old (and obvious)
    trick, silly! If I were you, dump that email account and get a new one.
    We change all of our email accounts once every few months anyway.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Jan 7, 2005
  7. Richard

    rf Guest

    "SpaceGirl" <> wrote

    > By clicking it you verified the phisher/spammer that your email address
    > is valid and being read... you can probably expect a mass of spam from
    > now onwards. Are you a total newbie!???

    Mir, this *is* RtS we are talking about :)

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Jan 7, 2005
  8. Richard

    SpaceGirl Guest

    rf wrote:
    > "SpaceGirl" <> wrote
    >

    >>By clicking it you verified the phisher/spammer that your email address
    >>is valid and being read... you can probably expect a mass of spam from
    >>now onwards. Are you a total newbie!???

    > Mir, this *is* RtS we are talking about :)

    good point :)

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Jan 7, 2005
  9. SpaceGirl wrote:

    > Richard wrote:
    >> I just got an e-mail from an outfit using the name "South trust bank".
    >>
    >> Smells like a scam right off the start.
    >> "Dear customer........your account is in......."
    >>
    >> Huh? What account? I do not have an account with you buttheads.
    >> So curios me clicks on the link and......
    >> "ACCESS DENIED"
    >> Say what?
    >> I kid you not. See for yourself.
    >> https://southtrustonlinebanking.com/

    >> allow contents to be listed.</body></html>
    >>
    >> That's the entire coding for the page.
    >> Now what's the point of wasting everyone's time with junk mail that
    >> doesn't go anywhere that's even useful?
    >>
    >> Ok. So which one of you clowns is responsible?
    >> 'fess up now. You've been caught.
    >>

    > By clicking it you verified the phisher/spammer that your email address
    > is valid and being read... you can probably expect a mass of spam from
    > now onwards. Are you a total newbie!??? This is a very old (and obvious)
    > trick, silly! If I were you, dump that email account and get a new one.
    > We change all of our email accounts once every few months anyway.

    Some even encode gifs on html email.
    Open the email => load gif => verify email address => more spam.

    gtoomey
    Gregory Toomey, Jan 7, 2005
  10. On 1/7/2005 6:33 AM Richard spoke thusly
    > I just got an e-mail from an outfit using the name "South trust bank".
    >
    > Smells like a scam right off the start.
    > "Dear customer........your account is in......."

    that's phising... LOL
    don't waste your and our time.

    bernhard
    --
    www.daszeichen.ch
    remove nixspam to reply
    Bernhard Sturm, Jan 7, 2005
  11. Richard

    Neal Guest

    Norman L. DeForest <> wrote:

    > Customers or possible customers of eBay, PayPal, just about every
    > bank
    > in the civilised world (and also the US)

    <pout />
    Neal, Jan 7, 2005
  12. Richard

    Richard Guest

    On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 23:33:16 -0600 Richard wrote:

    > I just got an e-mail from an outfit using the name "South trust bank".

    > Smells like a scam right off the start.
    > "Dear customer........your account is in......."

    > Huh? What account? I do not have an account with you buttheads.
    > So curios me clicks on the link and......
    > "ACCESS DENIED"
    > Say what?
    > I kid you not. See for yourself.
    > https://southtrustonlinebanking.com/

    > allow
    > contents to be listed.</body></html>

    > That's the entire coding for the page.
    > Now what's the point of wasting everyone's time with junk mail that
    > doesn't
    > go anywhere that's even useful?

    > Ok. So which one of you clowns is responsible?
    > 'fess up now. You've been caught.

    Followup:
    Apparently, someone is running a scam using "South bank trust" as their
    target.
    I found the real "south bank trust" website and they are legitimate, and
    they have a page dedicated to this e-mail scam thing.
    If you should happen to get one of these things, trash it.
    Richard, Jan 7, 2005
  13. Richard

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Richard wrote:

    > Followup:
    > Apparently, someone is running a scam using "South bank trust" as their
    > target.
    > I found the real "south bank trust" website and they are legitimate, and
    > they have a page dedicated to this e-mail scam thing.
    > If you should happen to get one of these things, trash it.

    Most people already do...

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Jan 7, 2005
  14. Richard

    saz Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Richard wrote:
    >
    > > Followup:
    > > Apparently, someone is running a scam using "South bank trust" as their
    > > target.
    > > I found the real "south bank trust" website and they are legitimate, and
    > > they have a page dedicated to this e-mail scam thing.
    > > If you should happen to get one of these things, trash it.

    > Most people already do...

    My 73 year-old father-in-law fell for the Citibank phishing scam because
    he has one of their credit cards. He gave them the credit card number,
    his name, address, soc sec number, birthdate, everything.

    We are fortunate that one of his sons is in the FBI computer fraud unit,
    so we were able to fix things with the credit agencies within 24 hours,
    but many are not so lucky.
    saz, Jan 7, 2005
  15. Richard

    SpaceGirl Guest

    saz wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >
    >>Richard wrote:
    >>

    >>>Followup:
    >>>Apparently, someone is running a scam using "South bank trust" as their
    >>>target.
    >>>I found the real "south bank trust" website and they are legitimate, and
    >>>they have a page dedicated to this e-mail scam thing.
    >>>If you should happen to get one of these things, trash it.

    >>Most people already do...
    >>

    > My 73 year-old father-in-law fell for the Citibank phishing scam because
    > he has one of their credit cards. He gave them the credit card number,
    > his name, address, soc sec number, birthdate, everything.
    >
    > We are fortunate that one of his sons is in the FBI computer fraud unit,
    > so we were able to fix things with the credit agencies within 24 hours,
    > but many are not so lucky.

    So... what's your account number and pin? ;)

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Jan 7, 2005
  16. In article <>, Anonymous@127.001 says...
    > On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 23:33:16 -0600 Richard wrote:
    >
    > > I just got an e-mail from an outfit using the name "South trust bank".

    > > Smells like a scam right off the start.
    > > "Dear customer........your account is in......."

    > > Huh? What account? I do not have an account with you buttheads.
    > > So curios me clicks on the link and......
    > > "ACCESS DENIED"
    > > Say what?
    > > I kid you not. See for yourself.
    > > https://southtrustonlinebanking.com/

    > > allow
    > > contents to be listed.</body></html>

    > > That's the entire coding for the page.
    > > Now what's the point of wasting everyone's time with junk mail that
    > > doesn't
    > > go anywhere that's even useful?

    > > Ok. So which one of you clowns is responsible?
    > > 'fess up now. You've been caught.

    > Followup:
    > Apparently, someone is running a scam using "South bank trust" as their
    > target.

    Well, duh. I don't believe that anyone can be as stupid as you appear
    to be, so now I believe you're a troll, plain and simple.

    --
    Hywel http://kibo.org.uk/
    I do not eat quiche.
    Hywel Jenkins, Jan 7, 2005
  17. Richard

    Heidi Guest

    SpaceGirl wrote:
    : We change all of our email accounts once every few months anyway.
    :
    : x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    We do? *confused*
    Heidi, Jan 7, 2005
  18. On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 09:42:08 -0600, Richard wrote:

    <snip!>
    > Followup:
    > Apparently, someone is running a scam using "South bank trust" as their
    > target.
    > I found the real "south bank trust" website and they are legitimate, and
    > they have a page dedicated to this e-mail scam thing.
    > If you should happen to get one of these things, trash it.

    I'm surprised you have bnot seen more phishing scams like this. I have
    gotten similar scams claiming to be from Wells Fargo, Citibank, Ebay, Pay
    Pal, and probably a few others.

    --
    Jeffrey Silverman

    ** Drop "PANTS" to reply by email
    Jeffrey Silverman, Jan 7, 2005
  19. Richard

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle Hywel Jenkins scribbled in the mud:

    >> Followup:
    >> Apparently, someone is running a scam using "South bank trust" as their
    >> target.

    > Well, duh. I don't believe that anyone can be as stupid as you

    I would have thought RtS would have made you a believer by now.

    --
    D?
    http://wipkip.biz just to raise my PR
    Duende, Jan 7, 2005
  20. In article <>, Hywel
    Jenkins () dropped a +5 bundle of words...

    > In article <>, Anonymous@127.001 says...
    > > On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 23:33:16 -0600 Richard wrote:
    > >
    > > > I just got an e-mail from an outfit using the name "South trust bank".

    > > > Smells like a scam right off the start.
    > > > "Dear customer........your account is in......."

    > > > Huh? What account? I do not have an account with you buttheads.
    > > > So curios me clicks on the link and......
    > > > "ACCESS DENIED"
    > > > Say what?
    > > > I kid you not. See for yourself.
    > > > https://southtrustonlinebanking.com/

    > > > allow
    > > > contents to be listed.</body></html>

    > > > That's the entire coding for the page.
    > > > Now what's the point of wasting everyone's time with junk mail that
    > > > doesn't
    > > > go anywhere that's even useful?

    > > > Ok. So which one of you clowns is responsible?
    > > > 'fess up now. You've been caught.

    > > Followup:
    > > Apparently, someone is running a scam using "South bank trust" as their
    > > target.

    > Well, duh. I don't believe that anyone can be as stupid as you appear
    > to be, so now I believe you're a troll, plain and simple.

    No, he really is that stupid. Scary, innit?

    --
    Starshine Moonbeam
    mhm31x9 Smeeter#29 WSD#30
    Starshine Moonbeam, Jan 7, 2005