Is this possible in C/C++?

Discussion in 'C++' started by dunric@yahoo.com, Dec 13, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Note urban legend below. Is this possible in C/C++?

    In 1974, Gustav Larsson*, a young programmer from Helsinki,
    Finland, stumbled upon an amazing discovery. While working
    with a PDP-8 mainframe computer, Gustav suddenly because
    bored. He decided to attempt to compile a single byte
    program. For what reasons we cannot know.

    Nevertheless, Gustav was already familiar with RTPS FORTRAN
    and thus picked a single character to represent the
    contents of the program: "@". Once compiled, he expected
    nothing to happen.

    He was wrong. To his absolute amazement, it compiled
    successfully!

    Using an ARS-33 Teletype, Gustav printed out the 1 byte program
    followed by its output. It appeared to contain a message from
    God. A devout Catholic, Gustav showed it to his immediate
    supervisor, who ordered both the print out and the program
    itself destroyed. Although Gustav complied with his wishes,
    it is rumored that he kept a copy of the printout in a small
    shoe box in his apartment in Helsinki.

    He also kept a brown diary which included various small
    passages from the "Helsinki Code" (as he described it years
    later). According to Gustav, the Helsinki Code came directly
    from the 'Mind of God.'

    The Helsinki Code read (in part):

    "...[M]y presence in your world is unalterable for I am the
    sanctuary of both the cosmos and the one soul inside you. I
    could awaken each of you in this very moment to [my] unity,
    but there is a larger design - a more comprehensive vision -
    that places you in the boundaries of time and the spatial
    dimensions of separateness...[T]he design requires a
    progression into my wholeness that reacquaints you with
    [my] unity through the experience of separation. Your
    awakening, while slow and sometimes painful, is assured,
    and this you must trust above all else..."

    (Page 26 of Gustav's Journal - Dated February 10th, 1975)

    Gustav passed away in 1996. Although his diary has since
    turned up missing, the above fragment from the 'Helsinki
    Code' remains. Perhaps, just perhaps, we can learn to
    be better people simply by reading it.

    Paul

    , Dec 13, 2005

  2. benben Guest

    Interesting.

    Ben

    benben, Dec 13, 2005

  3. Jack Klein Guest

    Jack Klein, Dec 13, 2005
  4. wrote:
    > Note urban legend below. Is this possible in C/C++?
    > [...]

    No.

    Victor Bazarov, Dec 13, 2005
  5. AbdulMunaf Guest

    Instresting stuff. As you said its a word of God, then only God can
    answer in which other language it can be done. And you see we have to
    wait until we die to know the answer.

    AbdulMunaf, Dec 13, 2005
  6. AbdulMunaf Guest

    AbdulMunaf, Dec 13, 2005
  7. On 12 Dec 2005 17:25:00 -0800, wrote:

    >Note urban legend below. Is this possible in C/C++?

    Of course. Just do not initialize pointers and you will receive many
    messages from God...

    Andrea Laforgia, Dec 13, 2005
  8. benben Guest

    AbdulMunaf wrote:
    > Instresting stuff. As you said its a word of God, then only God can
    > answer in which other language it can be done. And you see we have to
    > wait until we die to know the answer.

    Any possibility it is an easter egg in a compiler?

    Ben

    benben, Dec 13, 2005
  9. mlimber Guest

    wrote:
    > Note urban legend below. Is this possible in C/C++?
    >
    > In 1974, Gustav Larsson*, a young programmer from Helsinki,
    > Finland, stumbled upon an amazing discovery. While working
    > with a PDP-8 mainframe computer, Gustav suddenly because
    > bored. He decided to attempt to compile a single byte
    > program. For what reasons we cannot know.
    >
    > Nevertheless, Gustav was already familiar with RTPS FORTRAN
    > and thus picked a single character to represent the
    > contents of the program: "@". Once compiled, he expected
    > nothing to happen.
    >
    > He was wrong. To his absolute amazement, it compiled
    > successfully!
    >
    > Using an ARS-33 Teletype, Gustav printed out the 1 byte program
    > followed by its output. It appeared to contain a message from
    > God. A devout Catholic, Gustav showed it to his immediate
    > supervisor, who ordered both the print out and the program
    > itself destroyed. Although Gustav complied with his wishes,
    > it is rumored that he kept a copy of the printout in a small
    > shoe box in his apartment in Helsinki.
    >
    > He also kept a brown diary which included various small
    > passages from the "Helsinki Code" (as he described it years
    > later). According to Gustav, the Helsinki Code came directly
    > from the 'Mind of God.'
    >
    > The Helsinki Code read (in part):
    >
    > "...[M]y presence in your world is unalterable for I am the
    > sanctuary of both the cosmos and the one soul inside you. I
    > could awaken each of you in this very moment to [my] unity,
    > but there is a larger design - a more comprehensive vision -
    > that places you in the boundaries of time and the spatial
    > dimensions of separateness...[T]he design requires a
    > progression into my wholeness that reacquaints you with
    > [my] unity through the experience of separation. Your
    > awakening, while slow and sometimes painful, is assured,
    > and this you must trust above all else..."
    >
    > (Page 26 of Gustav's Journal - Dated February 10th, 1975)
    >
    > Gustav passed away in 1996. Although his diary has since
    > turned up missing, the above fragment from the 'Helsinki
    > Code' remains. Perhaps, just perhaps, we can learn to
    > be better people simply by reading it.
    >
    > Paul

    There was an entry in the 1987 Obfuscated C contest that comes close.
    It consists of a single character and a semicolon, and just so we're
    not too far off-topic, I'll note that it is also valid C++:

    http://www.ioccc.org/1987/biggar.c
    http://www.ioccc.org/1987/biggar.hint

    Cheers! --M

    mlimber, Dec 13, 2005
  10. Default User Guest

    wrote:

    > Note urban legend below. Is this possible in C/C++?

    Oh my, it's Paul Panks, one of the biggest idiots on usenet. Can't you
    confine your self-professed mental illness to your normal hangouts? We
    try to do some serious work here and don't have time for your nonsense.

    Brian

    Default User, Dec 13, 2005
  11. Jay Nabonne Guest

    On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 17:25:00 -0800, dunric wrote:

    > Note urban legend below. Is this possible in C/C++?

    <snip>

    Of course. You write a PDP-8 emulator in C++, then run RTPS FORTRAN on it....

    - Jay

    Jay Nabonne, Dec 13, 2005
  12. red floyd Guest

    mlimber wrote:
    > [redacted\
    >
    > There was an entry in the 1987 Obfuscated C contest that comes close.
    > It consists of a single character and a semicolon, and just so we're
    > not too far off-topic, I'll note that it is also valid C++:
    >
    > http://www.ioccc.org/1987/biggar.c
    > http://www.ioccc.org/1987/biggar.hint

    As a side note, the semicolon after P in the code is redundant.

    red floyd, Dec 13, 2005

    Default User wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Note urban legend below. Is this possible in C/C++?

    > Oh my, it's Paul Panks, one of the biggest idiots on usenet. Can't you
    > confine your self-professed mental illness to your normal hangouts? We
    > try to do some serious work here and don't have time for your nonsense.
    >

    > Brian

    Brian,

    Shut up.

    Paul

    , Dec 13, 2005
  14. Default User Guest

    wrote:

    > Brian,
    >
    > Shut up.

    No, Paul. You've crawled out of your pathetic world to the wrong spot
    this time. Your trolling is unacceptable, especially here, and I for
    one will let everyone know about you and your shenanigans.

    Paul Panks is a long-time usenet troll. A simple Google search on him
    will tell all.

    Brian

  15. <> wrote:
    >On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 17:25:00 -0800, dunric wrote:
    >> Note urban legend below. Is this possible in C/C++?
    >>

    ><snip>
    >
    >Of course. You write a PDP-8 emulator in C++, then run RTPS FORTRAN on it....

    A plain PDP-8 emulator is doable, but how can you write
    an emulator for a "PDP-8 mainframe computer" as described
    in the original post?

    Here is where divine intervention is required.

    Roberto Waltman

    [ Please reply to the group, ]
    [ return address is invalid. ]

    Roberto Waltman, Dec 13, 2005

    > wrote:
    >

    > > Brian,
    > >
    > > Shut up.

    > No, Paul. You've crawled out of your pathetic world to the wrong spot
    > this time. Your trolling is unacceptable, especially here, and I for
    > one will let everyone know about you and your shenanigans.
    >
    > Paul Panks is a long-time usenet troll. A simple Google search on him
    > will tell all.
    >

    > Brian

    Good grief...I'm writing here about whether or not something is
    possible in C/C++ (based upon the aforementioned urban legend).

    Paul

    , Dec 13, 2005
  17. wrote:

    > Default User wrote:
    > > wrote:
    > >

    > > > Brian,
    > > >
    > > > Shut up.

    > > No, Paul. You've crawled out of your pathetic world to the wrong spot
    > > this time. Your trolling is unacceptable, especially here, and I for
    > > one will let everyone know about you and your shenanigans.
    > >
    > > Paul Panks is a long-time usenet troll. A simple Google search on him
    > > will tell all.
    > >

    > > Brian

    > Good grief...I'm writing here about whether or not something is
    > possible in C/C++ (based upon the aforementioned urban legend).

    The one and only source for knowledge of C++, the holy Standard,
    has nothing to say about it.
    Happy now?

    --
    Karl Heinz Buchegger