Is this possible - Print PDF in popup window's IFRAME?

Guest

All

I am trying to achieve the following:

Main window page's asp code writes the following line to launch a popup
window (note the IFRAME has to be in the popup window, it cannot be in
the current page)

response.write("<script language='JavaScript'>var tempprintwindow =
window.open('papertempprint.asp?path=" & filePath & "','');")

And the code in papertempprint.asp is as follows:

<%
Dim location
location = Request.QueryString("path")
%>
<head>
<script language="JavaScript">
function printme() {
frame1.location.href = '<%= location %>'; //probably superfluous
here.
frame1.focus();
frame1.onload = new function(){
setTimeout("window.print();",5000);
</script>
</head>

<IFRAME height="600" width="800" name="frame1" src="<%= location %>"
visible="false"></IFRAME>

Popup redirects its IFRAME to the PDF file then prints via
window.print().
I get the windows print prompt fine, but when I print, just one blank
page comes out of the printer.

Is what I am trying to achieve possible. I have tried accessing the
popup IFRAME from the parent window using javascript and cannot access
it with
tempprintwindow.frame1.focus(); or
tempprintwindow.frames["frame1"].focus(); or any similar attempts using
window and document objects - I have trawled the web and this should
work according to the solutions I have found.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

VK

Popup redirects its IFRAME to the PDF file then prints via
window.print().
I get the windows print prompt fine, but when I print, just one blank
page comes out of the printer.

PDF file is not a part of the page. It has its own menubar on the top
(if you look) and print button in that menu bar has to be clicked.
Otherwise you're printing the containing documeny which is indeed
empty. I don't know if Adobe plugin provides scriptable interface. You
may look at their site but my first guess would be no.