IsClientConnected

Pete

I'm frustrated because I used to know the answer to this one...

Can anyone tell me what happens "under the covers" in order to evaluate
IsClientConnected?

In particular, what network traffic (if any) occurs?

TIA,
Pete

Egbert Nierop \(MVP for IIS\)

Pete said:
I'm frustrated because I used to know the answer to this one...

Can anyone tell me what happens "under the covers" in order to evaluate
IsClientConnected?

In particular, what network traffic (if any) occurs?

It detects only if *no* traffic is occuring anymore between server and
client... :)

Pete

Yes, but after the initial request and before the initial response, why
would there be any traffic between client and server? And yet
IsClientConnected is documented still to work in such a scenario.

I must admit this wasn't consistent with my understanding (although as I
said this is somewhat rusty). I thought that an IsClientConnected call
caused the server to initiate some kind of communication in order to
determine that the client is still there.

Egbert Nierop \(MVP for IIS\)

Pete said:
Yes, but after the initial request and before the initial response, why
would there be any traffic between client and server? And yet
IsClientConnected is documented still to work in such a scenario.

I must admit this wasn't consistent with my understanding (although as I
said this is somewhat rusty). I thought that an IsClientConnected call
caused the server to initiate some kind of communication in order to
determine that the client is still there.
In a non-buffered Response IsClientConnected checks for traffic.

In a buffered situation it could do a response.flush and check for errors.
But if you really want to know all about it, just install (from the XP CD)
NetMon(.exe) and look for HTTP traffic and analyze it..