isInRole doesn't work for one user, but works for everyone else

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by petersonrj, Sep 17, 2004.

  1. petersonrj

    petersonrj Guest

    I have an ASP.NET/C# application in which I verify that the current user is a
    member of a list of roles before giving them access to particular functions
    of the application (read vs update). I am using the IsInRole method of the
    IPrincipal object to check for role membership. Currently, I am just
    checking the domain/username against a list of domain/usernames, and will
    eventually created Groups.

    This is working well for all users, except one. Although my application is
    correctly identifying this user with the correct domain/username, the
    isinrole call returns false.

    My code is below:

    from the .aspx.cs:

    if (!((Security)(Application["security"])).userInRole("edit",
    HttpContext.Current.User))
    edit = false;
    else
    edit = true;

    }

    This code is from a C# object (called "Security") and is called from the
    page above:

    public Boolean userInRole(String role, IPrincipal principal)
    {
    Boolean inRole = false;

    AppDomain.CurrentDomain.SetPrincipalPolicy(PrincipalPolicy.WindowsPrincipal);

    //get users from hashtable
    String[] users = (String[])securityRolesMap[role];

    //loop through users to see is the current user matches

    for(int i=0;i< users.Length;i++)
    {
    String user = users;
    if (principal.IsInRole(users.ToLower()))
    {
    inRole = true;
    break;

    return inRole;

    }

    Any ideas why this would work okay for everyone except one user?
    petersonrj, Sep 17, 2004