    ....is anbled on a client machine and load right page?

    I mean if Flash will not work, than load 'normal' page?

    Thanx in advance...
    Mr Bean, Mar 23, 2005

  2. Mr Bean

    mark | r Guest

    mark | r, Mar 23, 2005

  3. Mr Bean wrote:
    > ...is anbled on a client machine and load right page?
    > I mean if Flash will not work, than load 'normal' page?

    No, not one that is reliable. The best way is to have a small flash
    loaded with the version you need them to have (using a feature unique
    to that version) then tell them if they can't see the flash they have
    to download a new version.

    Everything else is unreliable at best.

    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, Mar 23, 2005
  4. On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:21:45 +0800, Mr Bean wrote:

    > ...is anbled on a client machine and load right page?
    >
    > I mean if Flash will not work, than load 'normal' page?
    >
    > Thanx in advance...

    Since I don't use flash, I can't say for sure, but it would seem to me
    that if you have the spalsh page set to load the non-flash index page
    after say 5 seconds, then have it run a flash ?script? that loads the
    flash enabled index page. If the flash doesn't run, then after the
    timeout the non-flash page will load. If it does, then the flash page
    loads.

    Something like this. (I am sure a few people will jump in and correct me,
    so just wait a bit and you should have some useable code.)

    <head>
    content="5;url=http://www.example.com/noflash/index.html">
    <title>My Splash Page</title>
    </head>
    <h1>My Splash Page</h1>
    version of the site.</p>
    <!-- FLASH CODE
    FlashCommand - Load("www.example.com/flash/index.html")
    END FLASH CODE -->
    Carolyn Marenger, Mar 23, 2005
  5. Mr Bean

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Mr Bean wrote:

    > ...is anbled on a client machine and load right page?

    It's unlikely that you need such a script. Just do something like:

    <object data="flashcontent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
    height="240" width="320">
    </object>

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Mar 23, 2005
  6. Toby Inkster wrote:
    >>...is anbled on a client machine and load right page?

    > It's unlikely that you need such a script. Just do something like:
    > <object data="flashcontent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
    > height="240" width="320">
    > </object>

    Well that doesn't quite work. If the visitor has Flash but the wrong
    version it will load yet it will not work. Flash is backwards
    compatible with compatible features. For example if you use the tree
    component from flash mx2004, and your user has Flash mx installed,
    everything BUT the tree component works.

    This is why that non-embed code for flash that pops up here every now
    and then (allspice or something?) doesn't cut it. I believe they even
    discuss that as one of the issues with their solution on their web page.

    Now one can, in their flash movie, check the users version and let them
    know they have the wrong version. I believe Macromedia uses that method
    on their site and suggests others do too. I believe they compile a flash
    movie for flash 2, then check the player version to see if it the
    version they need to run the "real" movie.

    As a side note, Flash is best used on website where people EXPECT flash.
    (kids sites, intranet, movie sites, web applications, game sites,
    entertainment sites, etc...) places where people go to have fun or play
    games, or want more than text and images. It is NOT for most other
    sites (especially if the site is dependent on Flash.)

    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, Mar 24, 2005
  7. Mr Bean

    Mark Parnell Guest

    [User having Flash, but wrong version]

    http://alistapart.com/articles/flashsatay/

    > doesn't cut it. I believe they even
    > discuss that as one of the issues with their solution on their web page.

    It's kind of mentioned, yes. Though they suggest a different solution to
    Macromedia. I prefer Macromedia's idea, personally.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Mar 24, 2005
  8. Mark Parnell wrote:
    > It's kind of mentioned, yes. Though they suggest a different solution to
    > Macromedia. I prefer Macromedia's idea, personally.

    I think combining Macromedia's solution with Tobie's solution is
    probably the best, as you are covering your butt as best as you can
    using Flash.

    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, Mar 24, 2005
  9. Mr Bean

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, Travis Newbury <> said:
    > Mark Parnell wrote:
    >> It's kind of mentioned, yes. Though they suggest a different solution to
    >> Macromedia. I prefer Macromedia's idea, personally.

    > I think combining Macromedia's solution with Tobie's solution is
    > probably the best, as you are covering your butt as best as you can
    > using Flash.

    I agree. What I meant was that I preferred Macromedia's solution to that
    specific problem. The rest of the article is great advice.

    Mark Parnell, Mar 24, 2005
  10. Mr Bean

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Mark Parnell wrote:

    > http://alistapart.com/articles/flashsatay/

    The FS method is stupid. No browser requires that PARAM element in there,
    so why does Drew leave it in?

    The streaming method is cute. It would be nice if they provided a sample
    c.swf for us to download and use though.

    Other than the cute streaming method, my method is better. If you require
    a very recent version of Flash, then include the codebase attribute for IE
    using conditional comments.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Mar 24, 2005