It is possible to have a script to detect if Flash...

Mr Bean

....is anbled on a client machine and load right page?

I mean if Flash will not work, than load 'normal' page?

Thanx in advance...

Travis Newbury

Mr said:
...is anbled on a client machine and load right page?
I mean if Flash will not work, than load 'normal' page?

No, not one that is reliable. The best way is to have a small flash
loaded with the version you need them to have (using a feature unique
to that version) then tell them if they can't see the flash they have
to download a new version.

Everything else is unreliable at best.

Carolyn Marenger

...is anbled on a client machine and load right page?

I mean if Flash will not work, than load 'normal' page?

Thanx in advance...

Since I don't use flash, I can't say for sure, but it would seem to me
that if you have the spalsh page set to load the non-flash index page
after say 5 seconds, then have it run a flash ?script? that loads the
flash enabled index page. If the flash doesn't run, then after the
timeout the non-flash page will load. If it does, then the flash page
loads.

Something like this. (I am sure a few people will jump in and correct me,
so just wait a bit and you should have some useable code.)

<head>
content="5;url=http://www.example.com/noflash/index.html">
<title>My Splash Page</title>
</head>
<h1>My Splash Page</h1>
version of the site.</p>
<!-- FLASH CODE
FlashCommand - Load("www.example.com/flash/index.html")
END FLASH CODE -->

Toby Inkster

Mr said:
...is anbled on a client machine and load right page?

It's unlikely that you need such a script. Just do something like:

<object data="flashcontent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
height="240" width="320">
</object>

Travis Newbury

Toby said:
It's unlikely that you need such a script. Just do something like:
<object data="flashcontent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
height="240" width="320">
</object>

Well that doesn't quite work. If the visitor has Flash but the wrong
version it will load yet it will not work. Flash is backwards
compatible with compatible features. For example if you use the tree
component from flash mx2004, and your user has Flash mx installed,
everything BUT the tree component works.

This is why that non-embed code for flash that pops up here every now
and then (allspice or something?) doesn't cut it. I believe they even
discuss that as one of the issues with their solution on their web page.

Now one can, in their flash movie, check the users version and let them
know they have the wrong version. I believe Macromedia uses that method
on their site and suggests others do too. I believe they compile a flash
movie for flash 2, then check the player version to see if it the
version they need to run the "real" movie.

As a side note, Flash is best used on website where people EXPECT flash.
(kids sites, intranet, movie sites, web applications, game sites,
entertainment sites, etc...) places where people go to have fun or play
games, or want more than text and images. It is NOT for most other
sites (especially if the site is dependent on Flash.)

Mark Parnell

[User having Flash, but wrong version]
http://alistapart.com/articles/flashsatay/

doesn't cut it. I believe they even
discuss that as one of the issues with their solution on their web page.

It's kind of mentioned, yes. Though they suggest a different solution to
Macromedia. I prefer Macromedia's idea, personally.

Travis Newbury

Mark said:
It's kind of mentioned, yes. Though they suggest a different solution to
Macromedia. I prefer Macromedia's idea, personally.

I think combining Macromedia's solution with Tobie's solution is
probably the best, as you are covering your butt as best as you can
using Flash.

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:
I think combining Macromedia's solution with Tobie's solution is
probably the best, as you are covering your butt as best as you can
using Flash.

I agree. What I meant was that I preferred Macromedia's solution to that
specific problem. The rest of the article is great advice.

Toby Inkster

Mark said:

The FS method is stupid. No browser requires that PARAM element in there,
so why does Drew leave it in?

The streaming method is cute. It would be nice if they provided a sample
c.swf for us to download and use though.

Other than the cute streaming method, my method is better. If you require
a very recent version of Flash, then include the codebase attribute for IE
using conditional comments.