    I have no intention of ever using them, all I want is for my websites
    to be viewable a hundred years from now, which they will be because
    sites are being archived, and many of them have old code.

    thedarkman, Mar 2, 2012

  2. thedarkman wrote:
    > http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/id_home_of_ice.html
    >
    > Re the above, the last line still doesn't show.
    >
    > Now take this
    > http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/nigel_grant_page_poem.html
    >
    > I've tried it with two validators, and both say there is no Doc Type.
    > That is clearly wrong.

    No you are clearly wrong. Your file had *no* doctype.

    > A lot of these so-called errors come from my using<H1> which has been
    > abandoned in favour of stylesheets.

    You also have *no* stylesheet.

    > I have no intention of ever using them, all I want is for my websites
    > to be viewable a hundred years from now, which they will be because
    > sites are being archived, and many of them have old code.

    You also have no intention of learning HTML either.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Mar 2, 2012

  3. thedarkman schrieb:

    > Now take this
    > http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/nigel_grant_page_poem.html
    >
    > I've tried it with two validators, and both say there is no Doc Type.
    > That is clearly wrong.

    You are clearly wrong. There is no doctype declaration in the above
    page. The very least you could have done is check that fact for yourself.

    > A lot of these so-called errors come from my using <H1> which has been
    > abandoned in favour of stylesheets.

    That is utter nonsense.

    > I have no intention of ever using them

    You're hopeless.

    Greetings,
    Thomas

    --
    Ce n'est pas parce qu'ils sont nombreux à avoir tort qu'ils ont raison!
    (Coluche)

    Thomas Mlynarczyk, Mar 2, 2012
  4. thedarkman

    idle Guest

    On Fri, 2 Mar 2012 05:41:27 -0800 (PST), thedarkman wrote in alt.html:

    > http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/id_home_of_ice.html
    >
    > Re the above, the last line still doesn't show.
    >
    > Now take this
    > http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/nigel_grant_page_poem.html
    >
    > I've tried it with two validators, and both say there is no Doc Type.
    > That is clearly wrong.
    >
    > A lot of these so-called errors come from my using <H1> which has been
    > abandoned in favour of stylesheets.
    >
    > I have no intention of ever using them, all I want is for my websites
    > to be viewable a hundred years from now, which they will be because
    > sites are being archived, and many of them have old code.

    That's cuzzzz
    1. You didn't fix the code in the line.
    2. You put the wrong doctype for the doc you're coding.
    3. The whole doc's code has the pooch screwed.

    --
    idle
    I refuse to let common sense cloud my judgment.

    idle, Mar 2, 2012
  5. thedarkman wrote:

    > http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/id_home_of_ice.html
    >
    > Re the above, the last line still doesn't show.

    It would if you'd ever fix the error you were told about. You're missing
    a double-quote mark after the: target="_blank

    > Now take this
    > http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/nigel_grant_page_poem.html
    >
    > I've tried it with two validators, and both say there is no Doc Type.
    > That is clearly wrong.

    Not a chance. You don't even know what a DOCTYPE is.

    > A lot of these so-called errors come from my using <H1> which has been
    > abandoned in favour of stylesheets.

    If you knew the semantic meaning of headers, you'd change your tune.

    > I have no intention of ever using them, all I want is for my websites to
    > be viewable a hundred years from now, which they will be because sites
    > are being archived, and many of them have old code.

    None of us will care. Nobody will be reading your pages anyway. Not then,
    and not now. Who would want to look at such ugly pages?

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 2, 2012
  6. thedarkman

    dorayme Guest

    In article <jiqji5$ntm$>,
    Thomas Mlynarczyk <> wrote:

    > > A lot of these so-called errors come from my using <H1> which has been
    > > abandoned in favour of stylesheets.

    > That is utter nonsense.
    >
    > > I have no intention of ever using them

    > You're hopeless.

    Not, of course, in the sense of lacking hope.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Mar 2, 2012
  7. On Fri, 02 Mar 2012 05:41:27 -0800, thedarkman wrote:

    > http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/id_home_of_ice.html
    >
    > Re the above, the last line still doesn't show.
    >
    > Now take this
    > http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/nigel_grant_page_poem.html
    >
    > I've tried it with two validators, and both say there is no Doc Type.
    > That is clearly wrong.

    You've been told before about making up your own doctypes and why it
    doesn't work.

    > A lot of these so-called errors come from my using <H1> which has been
    > abandoned in favour of stylesheets.

    "H1" has not been "abandoned in favour of stylesheets".

    > I have no intention of ever using them, all I want is for my websites to
    > be viewable a hundred years from now, which they will be because sites
    > are being archived, and many of them have old code.

    You don't need to use CSS at all. What you *DO* need to do is to use
    valid HTML.

    You have, thus far, _never_ written valid HTML. I suspect you never will.
    This reduces your potential audience. As web browsers become ever more
    security sensitive and exploit aware, I expect a point will come that
    they simply refuse to try and render documents beyond the first markup
    error. You have already seen the consequences of the sheer quantity of
    errors in some of your web pages overloading the capacity of some
    browsers to model the document structure you present them with.

    Rgds

    Denis McMahon

    Denis McMahon, Mar 3, 2012
  8. Ed Mullen wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    >> Denis McMahon<> wrote:
    >>> As web browsers become ever more
    >>> security sensitive and exploit aware, I expect a point will come that
    >>> they simply refuse to try and render documents beyond the first markup
    >>> error.

    >> I wish! But pigs will fly first.

    > We keep seeking the fountain of youth. Isn't time we started looking
    > for the fountain of smart?

    "You can lead a darkman to water, but you can't make him drink."

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 4, 2012
  9. thedarkman

    dorayme Guest

    In article <jiujjp$qio$>,
    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:

    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >
    > > dorayme wrote:
    > >>
    > >> I wish! But pigs will fly first.

    > > We keep seeking the fountain of youth. Isn't time we started looking
    > > for the fountain of smart?

    > "You can lead a darkman to water, but you can't make him drink."

    You can lead a darkman to light, but you can't make him white.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Mar 4, 2012
  10. thedarkman

    Doug Miller Guest

    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in news:jiujjp$qio$1
    @dont-email.me:

    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> We keep seeking the fountain of youth. Isn't time we started looking
    >> for the fountain of smart?

    > "You can lead a darkman to water, but you can't make him drink."

    You can lead a darkman to knowledge, but you can't make him THINK.

    Doug Miller, Mar 4, 2012