j++ Timezone DST

doomsday123

I have a j++ class that uses the Timezone object to format a date.

myDF.format( d )

The timezone object is still adjusting the dates to the old DST and
now that the dates are changing for 2007 what can I do to correct this
issue?

Oliver Wong

I have a j++ class that uses the Timezone object to format a date.

myDF.format( d )

The timezone object is still adjusting the dates to the old DST and
now that the dates are changing for 2007 what can I do to correct this
issue?

Ask the implementer of the Timezone class to fix it, or add some sort of
hack workaround yourself. I believe J++ is a Microsoft product which has
been discontinued, so I don't think you'll have much luck getting the
implementer of Timezone to fix it. Perhaps you could switch to Java? Sun's
implementation has the new DST rules implemented in the latest version of
the class libraries.

- Oliver

doomsday123

Ask the implementer of the Timezone class to fix it, or add some sort of
hack workaround yourself. I believe J++ is a Microsoft product which has
been discontinued, so I don't think you'll have much luck getting the
implementer of Timezone to fix it. Perhaps you could switch to Java? Sun's
implementation has the new DST rules implemented in the latest version of
the class libraries.

- Oliver

I dont have the option to switch to Sun's java because our whole
backend is already coded in J++. Are there any other options to
correcting this issue?

Oliver Wong

I dont have the option to switch to Sun's java because our whole
backend is already coded in J++. Are there any other options to
correcting this issue?

Every option I can think of is going to be painful. I named two of them
above. Another might be to start moving towards SOAs and do all new
development in a supported language (whether Java, or C# or Ruby or
something else). Yet another would be to look for an AOP implementation
built upon J++ (they exist for Java, but I don't know if they exist for J++)
and then add hook points to intercept any calls to your Timezone object, and
do whatever fiddling needs to be done.

I imagine the least painful would be to do the hacks mentioned above.

- Oliver

a249

I dont have the option to switch to Sun's java because our whole
backend is already coded in J++. Are there any other options to
correcting this issue?

Moving away from J++ is your only reasonable option. Your problems
with J++ will get worse and worse over time. The earlier you start to
accept reality the cheaper will be the migration. Microsoft threw a
temper tantrum in January 2001 and put J++ on life support at that
time. The support from that time on until the final termination of the
product in January 2004 was just lip service. The MSJVM got a support
extension until January 2008, but that is only the VM, and don't
expect MS doing anything else than lip service.

You are effectively running your backend on a software platform which
is rotting away for six years. Formally you are already three years
behind with necessary, unavoidable actions. You don't have to trust us
here, see what Microsoft has to say about this.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/evaluation/news/jre.mspx
we cannot recommend that customers continue to use the Microsoft VM in
production environments after January 2, 2004,
Microsoft recommends that developers cease development work that
depends on the MSJVM and consider migration options for existing code that
depends on the MSJVM

and so on. Get your act together and migrate.

Andrew Thompson

I have a j++ class that uses the Timezone

No such class in the J2SE, did you mean
java.util.TimeZone, or is that an MS class?
..object to format a date.

As I understand, J++ runs on the MSVM.

Does the code use any MS specific classes? *
The timezone object is still adjusting the dates to the old DST and
now that the dates are changing for 2007 what can I do to correct this
issue?

* If 'no', the code should be able to run
on a modern VM. And if so, you can launch it
using web start to ensure a suitable JRE
(one with the new DST) is used.

Andrew T.

Wojtek

I have a j++ class that uses the Timezone object to format a date.

myDF.format( d )

The timezone object is still adjusting the dates to the old DST and
now that the dates are changing for 2007 what can I do to correct this
issue?

You could extend Timezone with your own MyTimezone class, then adjust
the time zone characteristics. Of course you would need to locate all
instances of Timezone and replace them with MyTimezone....