J2ME: How to load external library?

SpaceCowboy

To begin, I'm using JBuilder9 under J2ME and MIDP 1.0. I'm trying to use an
external library. I can get my code to compile, but I can't get the library
code working on the emulator.

I'm working on a poker game, and have come quiet far with it. I'm to the
point I need to write a hand evaluation system. As luck would have it, these
guys have a Java open source hand evaluation program already written.

http://spaz.ca/aaron/poker/src/eval.html

So, I download their code, but now I don't know how to get it into my
project. I am using JBuilder, and was able to add the .jar files under
Tools/Configure JDK. I can then import the libraries and the autocompletion
finds it, it compiles correctly, but then when I go to run it on the
emulator (Nokia developer's suite emulator), I get a class not found error.

I know that I need to get this library somehow packed into the .jar/.jad
files that the phone will run, but I don't know how to do this. When I tried
to unpack these files into my src directory, I got it to compile, but then
couldn't get an application created because of pre-verifier errors.

Does anyone have any suggestions on this? I've been stuck for several days
because of this problem and I don't know what to do next.

SpaceCowboy

P.S. Sorry for the cross-post, but I'm having an incredibly difficult time
getting any help to the problems I run into.

Darryl L. Pierce

SpaceCowboy said:
To begin, I'm using JBuilder9 under J2ME and MIDP 1.0. I'm trying to use an
external library. I can get my code to compile, but I can't get the library
code working on the emulator.

<snip>

All code that's used by your MIDlet that's *not* a part of the device
has to be supplied by your MIDlet suite. So, if you're using 3rd party
code, you have to bundle *all* of the code you're using into *your* JAR
file.

SpaceCowboy

I'm still relatively new to Java. Would this mean I would need to basically
add the individual files to my project, or is there some way to compile 3rd
party JARs into the JAR for my midlet suite.

SpaceCowboy

Darryl L. Pierce

SpaceCowboy said:
I'm still relatively new to Java. Would this mean I would need to basically
add the individual files to my project, or is there some way to compile 3rd
party JARs into the JAR for my midlet suite.

You would have to extract the files out of the 3rd party JAR file and
put them into your own JAR file along with your code/resources.