J2ME Memory Image Source & Serial port question

Michael =?iso-8859-1?Q?K=FCbel?=

Hello there,

I'm quite new to J2ME and want to try some serial port and
graphics programming on my mobile (Sony Ericsson T610).

So here are the questions...

1) Is there a special newsgroup for j2me programming ?

2) Is there something like a 'Memory image source' like in 'normal'
desktop java applets or any other way to access a graphics frame
buffer more directly than the usuall graphics commands ?

3) Can I communicate with other RS232 devices (e.g. measurement
devices ?) What's the API for this ?

Thanx for your help in advance !

Yours,

Michael

Dipl.-Ing. Michael Kübel
Institut fuer Verfahrenstechnik und Dampfkesselwesen IVD
(Institute of Process Engineering and Power Plant Technology)
Universitaet Stuttgart
Pfaffenwaldring 23
D-70550 Stuttgart
Germany
Tel.: (++49) 0711 685 3745
Fax : (++49) 0711 685 3491
Email: (e-mail address removed)-stuttgart.de
Internet: http://www.ivd.uni-stuttgart.de

Darryl L. Pierce

Michael said:
1) Is there a special newsgroup for j2me programming ?

No. However, there are web-based forums and mailing lists for MIDP and J2ME
discussions. See the J2ME FAQ for more details:

http://mcpierce.mypage.org/j2mefaq.html
2) Is there something like a 'Memory image source' like in 'normal'
desktop java applets or any other way to access a graphics frame
buffer more directly than the usuall graphics commands ?

No. The best you can do is deal with the graphics data on your own and then
create instances of javax.microedition.lcdui.Image manually. But, you can't
manipulate the data directly on the display.
3) Can I communicate with other RS232 devices (e.g. measurement
devices ?) What's the API for this ?

*If* the OEM has made the serial port available, they are required to
provide access via the Generic Connection Framework. However, the MIDP
doesn't require any connection type other than HTTP, so even if it's
available on your device (which, to my experience, it's not), it's not
going to be common across all devices.

If it's available, there will be a special javax.microedition.io.Connection
class to support it. The MIDP 1.0 spec doesn't define one, so it's going to
be an OEM defined one if it exists. Again, the S/E T610 doesn't have one,
in my experience.

Michael =?iso-8859-1?Q?K=FCbel?=

Hi Darryl,

thanx for the information !
No. The best you can do is deal with the graphics data on your own and then
create instances of javax.microedition.lcdui.Image manually. But, you can't
manipulate the data directly on the display.

Hm, how could this work...? I set up an Image like memory_array[] =
image
and access this array to manipulate the pixels/bytes directly...like
memory_array[x+y*width]...then I would have to know about the data
structure of the image, may be there's some header for an image...if
this is possible at all...is it ?

Yours,

Michael

Dipl.-Ing. Michael Kübel
Institut fuer Verfahrenstechnik und Dampfkesselwesen IVD
(Institute of Process Engineering and Power Plant Technology)
Universitaet Stuttgart
Pfaffenwaldring 23
D-70550 Stuttgart
Germany
Tel.: (++49) 0711 685 3745
Fax : (++49) 0711 685 3491
Email: (e-mail address removed)-stuttgart.de
Internet: http://www.ivd.uni-stuttgart.de

Darryl L. Pierce

Michael said:
thanx for the information !

NP. :)
No. The best you can do is deal with the graphics data on your own and
then create instances of javax.microedition.lcdui.Image manually. But,
you can't manipulate the data directly on the display.

Hm, how could this work...? I set up an Image like memory_array[] =
image
and access this array to manipulate the pixels/bytes directly...like
memory_array[x+y*width]...then I would have to know about the data
structure of the image, may be there's some header for an image...if
this is possible at all...is it ?

You can create mutable instances of Image and directly modify the encoded
information for the Image. What I was saying was that you can't directly
modify the display memory.